Sign in to follow this  

Internal sealing of Plastic tanks

I just bought a new Clarkes tank and I just installed stickers on it. Everybody knows the bubbling problem that plastic tanks have when it comes to stickers.

Has anyone tried putting an internal coating to prevent the permeation of the vapors through the plastic? In my area there's a huge plastic manufacturing plant and I went to see them. The chem tech there is supposed to contact me about a solution. I will let you all know what I find. My tank has not had any fuel in it yet so I am looking to seal it prior if possible.

there are several posts on this subject...the current offerings for coatings are not for poly tanks although sum have used them with sum success...try searching

my understanding is actual additives in the plastic during manufacturing/injection moulding is the best solution...i wud expect it to become manditory in the future to cut down on "fugitive emissions" from gasoline vapors.

:)

Here's a thread I started last summer. So far, my graphics are still sticking and there is no yellowing...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6588696#post6588696

YEah I just finished reading that complete thread. I am very concerned about any coating that hardens when cured. If this stuff remained flexible I would do it in a minute. My tank is brand new and hasn't had any gas in it yet.

If you buy tank graphics that are perforated this isnt an issue. I've run graphics for a long time on mine and never had any issues with bubbling or peeling. Just clean the tank well, prep the surface and take your time applying them. Some stores sell some sort of decal solution that helps the glue bond to the tank and also keeps it wet so you can position it and get all the bubbles out. Not sure if it is just soap or some alcohol but if I am going to try it next time.