Sign in to follow this  

Electrical Question

currently i have a BD 35/35W headlight, taillight blinkers..blah blah....question is.....i run the stock stator...can i branch off and put a rectifier and battery for an aux DC connection. nothing too big, just for GPS power and possibly cell phone charge.

if i remember, there are a couple wires under the seat that have AC that are not used......

If you have a Baja D. DSK installed with the little battery pack then all the lights on your bike are DC. The bad news is that the stock stator doesn't have enough juice to power much of anything beyond the DSK lighting and overcharging the battery. GPS's don't require much power but the backlight for the screen does. It's possable if you ran the bike with the headlight off and had a GPS with no backlight you might be able to power it. I would suggest you get your stator rewound or carry extra batteries. If you want to try tapping into the 12 VDC use the wires that go to the little ignition light inside the headlight. Then the power is turned on and off with the handle bar switch.

If you have a Baja D. DSK installed with the little battery pack then all the lights on your bike are DC. The bad news is that the stock stator doesn't have enough juice to power much of anything beyond the DSK lighting and overcharging the battery. GPS's don't require much power but the backlight for the screen does. It's possable if you ran the bike with the headlight off and had a GPS with no backlight you might be able to power it. I would suggest you get your stator rewound or carry extra batteries. If you want to try tapping into the 12 VDC use the wires that go to the little ignition light inside the headlight. Then the power is turned on and off with the handle bar switch.

no no no, i only have the BD headlight, everything else is different, i got it from procycle. So my bike right now is only AC. what did you mean by overcharging the battery???? well the gps that i have is a greyscale screen so....