Sign in to follow this  

Best 90/10 street legal tire?

I'm sure this has been beat to death and if not great! First off, Hello, this is my first post. I have an 07' CRF450X which I have plated. I am interested in finding out which street legal tire people have found to work the best for off-road (which is where I spend most of my time). I have used Pirelli MT21s in the past and found them to work well. The terrain I ride is mainly dirt and sand.

Thanks for any input!

I'm sure this has been beat to death and if not great! First off, Hello, this is my first post. I have an 07' CRF450X which I have plated. I am interested in finding out which street legal tire people have found to work the best for off-road (which is where I spend most of my time). I have used Pirelli MT21s in the past and found them to work well. The terrain I ride is mainly dirt and sand.

Thanks for any input!

Front or rear?

I run a Pirelli MT-16 front, and a Kenda TrackMaster II out back...great combo.

If I am not mistaken, the MT-16 is not DOT approved.

Pirelli Scorpion Pro front and Pirelli MT16 rear. Hands down the best DOT combination: So good in fact, I ran them as tires of preference all year round on my large bore bikes in all weather conditions here in the Pacific N.W. Give Dwight Rudder a shout and ask his opinion. Actually you could probably ask just about anyone who has run the combination and hear nothing but praise.

The Scorpion Pro is very similar to the S12 front, and in my opinion works better and lasts much longer under varying terrain conditions. The MT16 rear wears like iron on the street, and with an ultra-heavy duty tube you can safely run pressures around 8psi for the muddy winter months. I actually prefer the MT16 rear tire in slick/mud/clay/loam over the S12, 773, and other mud condition variants.

Thanks for the input! I really like the Pirelli set up I had last time and probally will stick with it. I always seem to second guess myself just before I buy!

Thanks for any input!

i like the mt21 but i have found the d606 to last a little longer, and has better traction on the road with about the same traction in the dirt, they both kinda suk in sand, but arent too bad. the d606 front is horrible though in the dirt. only use the 606 rear and expermiment with the front. the best dot front ive used was the pirelli scorpion pro, but its a tad bit expensive

Pirelli Scorpion Pro front and Pirelli MT16 rear. Hands down the best DOT combination: So good in fact, I ran them as tires of preference all year round on my large bore bikes in all weather conditions here in the Pacific N.W. Give Dwight Rudder a shout and ask his opinion. Actually you could probably ask just about anyone who has run the combination and hear nothing but praise.

The Scorpion Pro is very similar to the S12 front, and in my opinion works better and lasts much longer under varying terrain conditions. The MT16 rear wears like iron on the street, and with an ultra-heavy duty tube you can safely run pressures around 8psi for the muddy winter months. I actually prefer the MT16 rear tire in slick/mud/clay/loam over the S12, 773, and other mud condition variants.

I run the same exact setup in the Eastern woods, but they are not DOT tires approved for the road. They are strictly off road tires.

I run the same exact setup in the Eastern woods, but they are not DOT tires approved for the road. They are strictly off road tires.

They actually are DOT tires approved for the road. The Scorpion Pro is marked as DOT, the MT16 carries no "For Off Road Use Only" label. In either case, both tires are legal for street use.

Michelin AC-10 for the rear and Scorpion Pro for the front.I have tried most D.O.T approved tyres but found these two to be the best wearing with good performance.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the kenda trakmaster II K760. The rear offers awesome traction in the dirt though I don't have experience with the front.

They actually are DOT tires approved for the road. The Scorpion Pro is marked as DOT, the MT16 carries no "For Off Road Use Only" label. In either case, both tires are legal for street use.
Most Pirelli fronts are DOT legal; I like the MT16 for dual sports. But the MT16 rear is not DOT legal. It doesn't matter what it doesn't say on any tire, if it isn't DOT, it's not legal. Of course, that's not to say you and I don't get away with it, or that certain cops won't notice (especially after looking at the DOT label on the front). I find that those sorts of tickets depend on how much of an ass you're being before getting stopped. :thumbsup:

Most Pirelli fronts are DOT legal; I like the MT16 for dual sports. But the MT16 rear is not DOT legal. It doesn't matter what it doesn't say on any tire, if it isn't DOT, it's not legal. Of course, that's not to say you and I don't get away with it, or that certain cops won't notice (especially after looking at the DOT label on the front). I find that those sorts of tickets depend on how much of an ass you're being before getting stopped. :thumbsup:

In discussion such as this, it's not good practice to guess as to what a person thinks a reasonable response would be. I know, for fact, that in Washington State, any tire that is not specifically marked for "off road use only" or other such designation is legal to run on the streets. I and many others have looked into this specific topic a number of times over the years, and the same answer is always given: Refer to the RCW. Here is how the RCW reads (see section 5):

RCW 46.37.425

Tires — Unsafe — State patrol's authority — Penalty.

No person shall drive or move or cause to be driven or moved any vehicle, the tires of which have contact with the driving surface of the road, subject to registration in this state, upon the public highways of this state unless such vehicle is equipped with tires in safe operating condition in accordance with requirements established by this section or by the state patrol.

The state patrol shall promulgate rules and regulations setting forth requirements of safe operating condition of tires capable of being employed by a law enforcement officer by visual inspection of tires mounted on vehicles including visual comparison with simple measuring gauges. These rules shall include effects of tread wear and depth of tread.

A tire shall be considered unsafe if it has:

(1) Any ply or cord exposed either to the naked eye or when cuts or abrasions on the tire are probed; or

(2) Any bump, bulge, or knot, affecting the tire structure; or

(3) Any break repaired with a boot; or

(4) A tread depth of less than 2/32 of an inch measured in any two major tread grooves at three locations equally spaced around the circumference of the tire, or for those tires with tread wear indicators, a tire shall be considered unsafe if it is worn to the point that the tread wear indicators contact the road in any two major tread grooves at three locations equally spaced around the circumference of the tire; or

(5) A legend which indicates the tire is not intended for use on public highways such as, "not for highway use" or "for racing purposes only"; or

(6) Such condition as may be reasonably demonstrated to render it unsafe; or

(7) If not matched in tire size designation, construction, and profile to the other tire and/or tires on the same axle, except for temporary-use spare tires that meet federal standards that are installed and used in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.

No person, firm, or corporation shall sell any vehicle for use on the public highways of this state unless the vehicle is equipped with tires that are in compliance with the provisions of this section. If the tires are found to be in violation of the provisions of this section, the person, firm, or corporation selling the vehicle shall cause such tires to be removed from the vehicle and shall equip the vehicle with tires that are in compliance with the provisions of this section.

It is a traffic infraction for any person to operate a vehicle on the public highways of this state, or to sell a vehicle for use on the public highways of this state, which is equipped with a tire or tires in violation of the provisions of this section or the rules and regulations promulgated by the state patrol hereunder: PROVIDED, HOWEVER, That if the violation relates to items (1) to (7) inclusive of this section then the condition or defect must be such that it can be detected by a visual inspection of tires mounted on vehicles, including visual comparison with simple measuring gauges.

I've also been told that most states have similar guidelines. Check the regs in your state if you're actually worried about it. Personally I know a few who prefer other tires and have used a razor blade to make them not for "off road use only".

In discussion such as this, it's not good practice to guess as to what a person thinks a reasonable response would be. I know, for fact, that in Washington State, any tire that is not specifically marked for "off road use only" or other such designation is legal to run on the streets. I and many others have looked into this specific topic a number of times over the years, and the same answer is always given.........
Well, you're right, and that's great info :thumbsup:

I knew there was a DOT requirement, but it's for passenger vehicle tires only.

Here are the NYS laws for MC's and cars:

http://www.nysdmv.com/forms/mv529b.pdf

http://www.nysdmv.com/forms/mv529.pdf

Well, you're right, and that's great info :thumbsup:

I knew there was a DOT requirement, but it's for passenger vehicle tires only.

Here are the NYS laws for MC's and cars:

http://www.nysdmv.com/forms/mv529b.pdf

http://www.nysdmv.com/forms/mv529.pdf

I wish!

Here is the actual inspection requirements

http://www.nysdmv.com/forms/cr79.pdf

from reasons for failing a tire

"Tire does not display appropriate Department

of Transportation markings or indicates "for

off-road use," "racing use only," or similar

wording."

In NYS motorcycle tires do indeed need to say "DOT".

That does not mean a shop might not 'forget' to look for the marking, though.

Dave