Sign in to follow this  

100 miles down on the KLX 250 / 351 kit.

I used a combo of traditional and mototune's methods of break in.

Took it in the woods today, the bike is freakin awesome. Runs great.

Definitely gotta gear it up (13t front). I was hitting 5th and 6th in the woods. 6th has more pull than 4th did with the 250. I'm thinking two more teeth in the front.

I had a doof moment though, this morning, started it up, idled for a few mins, then shut off. Couldn't get it started again.. Then it did start, but for only a min. Kept putting and struggling to stay alive.

Thought for sure something was fudged..

Nope, I'm a dumass and ran the tank dry. Switched it to reserve and the bastard started right up...

DOOooooofffff

So I did 50 miles today, everything from street to dirt hill climbing, to fire/logging roads. The bike is so freakin wonderful now. I just hope it's as reliable as the 250 was and I hope it lasts me a long time.

Pics would be nice, and an update after a few hundred miles to give us a long term review would be great.:)

Couple pics of the kit..

351kit.jpg

bigbore.jpg

pistonsandshit.jpg

That's about all I got now.. Bike still looks the same :)

klx225-1.jpg

Put the stock 14t front sprocket back on today.. While it helped a bit, it's still going through the gears pretty fast, and doesn't seem to be taking advantage of all the low RPM punch the motor now has.

I think I'm going to get a 15t front, and drop the rear two teeth or so, and see how that feels..