Sign in to follow this  

Street legal question

Hey everyone, I have a question. I am looking at buying a 05 250X that has the installed street legal kit for TX (owner claims 40 hrs on the bike). Bike is plated already, so it has been highway ridden some. My question is I remember hearing something about the X's transmissions having lubrication issues at sustained highway speeds. Any ideas, or are the X's OK as long as they were not used as touring bikes???

It really comes down to how well the bike was maintained. The X gearbox is strong. The X's are designed as trail bikes not long distance touring bikes. It will be OK hitting the street to run to short hops, but I wouldn't try turning it into a highway machine.

Let me clarify a bit... I am not going to use it on the street at all. I am just concerned about previous use. Guess as long as its tranny feels OK now, it will be fine for me, since I will keep the oil changed regularly. I just didn't know if the previous road riding would (could) have damaged the tranny more than a bike that has been trail ridden only.