How much is my used 57HP DRZ400SM worth?!?

Well, I really hate to do this but given how little time I have to ride it, I am considering selling one of my DRZs.

This one is heavily modified with one of Eddie’s 57HP engine and I'm wondering how much it would realistically go for.

I know very well that this bike will bring a lot more money if I part it out on eBay (been there/done that) but it feels wrong to tear this one apart.

I don't need or even really want to sell it but let's face the facts, it is just wasting away hooked up to a battery tender in my garage.

The bike retains all the original features: fan, blinkers, passenger pegs, helmet lock etc.... I tried to make it as understated and as practical and easy to live with as possible.

I have listed most of the modifications at the end of this post after the pictures. It's a 2005 DRZ400SM with 1954 total miles and less than 180 miles on the 57HP engine.

Let me know what you guys think it is worth like this and what you think the difference will be if I part it out on eBay.

I would appreciate if other owners of similarly modified bikes would let me know how much theirs went for or how much they bought them for.

If you don't want to post the specific dollar amount of your transaction in the thread, you can just PM me what the purchase/sale price of your bike was.

As always, your thoughts and input are highly appreciated ?

DRZ400_023.jpg

DRZ400_024.jpg

DRZ400_007.jpg

More pictures here: https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7801173#post7801173

2005 DRZ400SM / 1954 miles (180 miles on the 57HP engine) / mod list:

Engine:

57HP with Yosh Ti Exhaust, Assembled, Dynoed and Tuned by Eddie

All the fixes that need to be done were when Eddie took the engine apart

If anyone's not familiar with it the 57HP DRZ, refer to this thread for more details: https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459108

Custom Exhaust Heat Shield

TT Ignition Cover Case Shield

Customized Engine Plug "Biohazard Limited Edition"

Unabiker Gold Radiator Guards

SFB Billet Clutch Cover

Brakes / Wheels:

Marchesini Wheels with Michelin PP (less than 150 miles on)

QTM/Brembo Front Brake Kit / Machined Spacers (less than 150 miles on)

Moose Steel Braided Front Brake Line

Braking Rotors (less than 150 miles on)

Rear CRF Master Cylinder

Forks and Rear Axle Sliders

Transmission:

DID ERV2 Xring Gold Chain

Driven 15T Front Sprocket

Sidewinder Tool Steel 38T Rear Sprocket

B&B Australia Sprocket Guard

SFB Chain Guide

Zeta Chain Guard

Plastics/Body:

IMS 3.2 Gallons Tank with WR Petcock and Tusk Billet Gas Cap

UFO Sumo Front Fender

E Model Headlight

Works Connection Frame Guards

Controls:

APA Mirror

Zeta Levers

Cycra Handguards

GPR Steering Damper

Pro Taper Charmichael Fat Bar

IMS Super Stock Footpegs with Peg Sliders

Electrical:

Clutch and Kickstand Switches Disabled

Edge Tail Light and Mini Arrow Signals (front and back).

Relocated Ignition Switch with Custom Bracket

Sisneros Super Start Kit

Many parts either powder coated, polished, custom made or machined to specs...

A lot of OEM fasteners have been replaced by stainless steel ones where appropriate.

And I am sure I am forgetting a few things along the way... :banghead:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, the only way I think you could recoup even a decent amount of money is if you found an avid TT'er to buy it. The motor just isn't worth that much unless the potential buyer knows of Eddie and his reputation.

... and yes, very nicely done bike.

Such a shame to see all the work and money invested and you want to sell.

You problem will be finding someone who appreciates all that you have done.

Between the engine and wheels, you have about 5K, a couple more for other bits then add to the about what a stock DRZ is going for. Sadly, you might get 60% of that selling as is. Simply not enough people who appreciate the quality. I think if you parted it out, you would get most if not all of your money back.

I am being realistic and know very well I am only going to recoupe part of what I have put in this bike. I know you guys are 100% right when you say I should part it out but somehow -and I know this is going to sound weird, I don't mind losing the money as much as I mind dismantling the bike. I would just rather see someone else ride and enjoy it.

Edit: Tom, location PMed

I dunno if this is a stupid idea or not, but maybe you could get a stock motor to put in there and sell it that way. Then hang on to the motor and sell just the motor. I don't know if that will put you ahead at all money wise, but I'm just thinking that theres probably a lot of members on the board myself included drooling over the motor, but already own a DRZ.

Like someone else suggested unless you get someone really looking for that performance, some "regular" dude off the street won't pay for that kind of awesomeness.

I am being realistic and know very well I am only going to recoupe part of what I have put in this bike. I know you guys are 100% right when you say I should part it out but somehow -and I know this is going to sound weird, I don't mind losing the money as much as I mind dismantling the bike. I would just rather see someone else ride and enjoy it.

Edit: Tom, location PMed

Commendable ?

There's a big difference between how much the bike is worth and how much you will be able to sell it for.

It really depends what buyers you run into. I'm guessing you could get around 7k for it, +/- a grand depending how lucky you get.

People in general won't be willing to spend too much on a DRZ, no matter how modded it is. If you want to sell fast, then you'll lose a lot. If you part it out, you should get most of your money back.

My 2c..

Putting a stock motor back in is something I actually have considered for the engine resale value, but then I thought who is going to buy a stock DRZ with Brembo brakes, Marchesinis etc., which sent me back to square one.

Eddie, have you seen anything similar sell by any chance? Or does everyone end up parting them out on eBay?

Realistically you won't get more than $4000-5000 for it as a whole unless you find that avid DRZ fan that has money to burn.

Sadly people looking for high hp in a "primarily street rideable" bike will just buy a high hp street bike and be done with it.

Parting out would bring a lot more if done right.

DRZ Parts Market > DRZ Market

Good luck.

If money isn't a big issue... leave it on the tender... it doesn't take up that much space. Maybe someday your life will change and you will wish you still had it.

PS - I was trying to figure out why the oil line was so 'in my face'... then I realized you removed the skid plate and plastic covers.

Well, I really hate to do this but given how little time I have to ride it, I am considering selling one of my DRZs.

Just to throw an idea out there: Sell one of the other ones and ride the snot out of this beast!!! ?

I part bikes as a side business. it never feels right when it's one that you've owned and enjoyed, so I know where you're coming from. having said that, PM sent about the availability of the brakes ?

having said that, PM sent about the availability of the brakes ?

I'm suprised this thread made it far as it did before people started trying to whore it out.

PS - To keep it on track... one other problem you have is the person is going to have to pay cash for it... no bank will loan the amount of you will probably be asking to buy it as a whole bike.

If money isn't a big issue... leave it on the tender... it doesn't take up that much space. Maybe someday your life will change and you will wish you still had it.

I might just do that if I can't sell it. Money is not an issue and I'm not in a hurry for the sale.

More interested in knowing the resale value but it's not like I need the money to pay the bills.

Problem with the tender is that it's not the only bike on it in the garage and the others don't get much more action...

Just to throw an idea out there: Sell one of the other ones and ride the snot out of this beast!!! :banghead:

Other then the fact that it's and E and does not have the Hot Rods crank, DRZ#2 is pretty much a copy of DRZ#1... ?

DRZ#1 was destined for street use while DRZ#2 is for the track. I'd rather keep DRZ#2 as I have other street bikes.