Steering bearings

When I turn my front end it's real nothcy and I'm prety sure that I need to replace the bearings in it. I was just wondering how long it would take and if anyone has done it how difficult is it. It's a 98 RM 125.

Yep, if they're notchy they at least need to be greased.

Removing the bearings is pretty easy - all you have to do is take everything apart and they come right out. I'd start with removing the bearings and seeing if either they or the races are damaged. You may be able to repack the bearings and get back to riding.

If you need to replace them, you'll have to either press the races out, or knock them out. I knock mine out with a punch.

If you don't have a manual for the bike, get one. It will walk you through the entire procedure and tell you important things like torque values.

Ok thanks I will deffinatly get a manule for it. Would it be beter to replace them ball bearings or needle bearings. I was leaning towards the needle. They seem like they would last longer and roll smother.

Ok thanks I will deffinatly get a manule for it. Would it be beter to replace them ballbearings or needle bearings. I was leaning towards the needle. They seem like they would last longer and roll smother.

FYI ball bearings can deal with water and dirt "crap" much better then roller bearings because they have less surface area.

but on the other hand roller bearings will feal much smother if keeped cleaned you will need to keep up on them. If not a small bit of dirt will make your steering feel heavy.

I run ballbearings because they need less maintenance because that is what i do for a living

hope this helps have a good one

?

What ball bearings are you going to use that will replace the tapered roller bearings???? The roller bearings handle the axial loads seen in the steering stem application. Unless you're using a thrust bearing (or at least an angular contact ball bearing), ball bearings are not great with axial loads, more for radial loads (perpendicular to the shaft). I'd be curious to hear more about these ball bearings and how they work better.

What ball bearings are you going to use that will replace the tapered roller bearings???? The roller bearings handle the axial loads seen in the steering stem application. Unless you're using a thrust bearing (or at least an angular contact ball bearing), ball bearings are not great with axial loads, more for radial loads (perpendicular to the shaft). I'd be curious to hear more about these ball bearings and how they work better.

I have no idea but i gona do some more re-search on them and get a few more oppinions on it. Ill let ya all know what i find

You can go onto any moto website and order the complete kits theres a couple out there i just did mine with the (all balls) kit only cost like 40bucks shipped and easy to do. Good luck rockymountianmc.com has online how to videos you can watch to walk you though the process hope this helps...

I have ball bearings in my 1981 Yamaha road bike's steering stem. But they are set up in a configuration with a separated upper and lower race and loose balls that ride in a groove between the two. This is essentially a THRUST bearing which does have good axial load capacity. The ball bearings that are like the ones in our wheels are RADIAL ball bearings. The loads seen in the wheels are radial loads. The steering stem loads are mostly axial loads. The only way a ball bearing would work is if they are in a thrust bearing configuration.

If I could have found tapered roller bearings that fit the inner and outer dimensions necessary, I would have put them in my Yamaha when I rebuilt it.

To the original poster: take your steering stem apart. If your bearings are rusty or very loose, if the cages are deformed, throw them away, knock the races out of your frame's steering stem housing with a punch or an old screwdriver, buy the Allballs or Pivot works kit (with the seals) and replace them. They are a wear item, just like any other bearing. They are expected to require replacement periodically. There is no advantage to ball bearings. Period.

I know what loose ball bearings in steering stems are - I have them in my ancient bicycle. I haven't seen such bearings on a bike's steering stem in many years.

Pivot Works makes decent stuff; I used them the last time I did the RMX.

I guess you can get tapered roller bearings to fit, but they must be motorcycle/automotive industry specific. Timken, NTN, NSK...none of them had bearings listed with inside/outside dimensions that would work, but folks on the "XJ" website have done it. Must be buying a motorcycle part somewhere, I just didn't have the patience or interest to figure it out at the time.

I work for an industrial distributor and none of the manufacturers could cross the NTN's for my CR steering stem bearings. I was told "that part number looks like an automotive bearing...can't help ya". I could've bought them from NTN but, even with my discount, I was better off buying the Pivot Works or All Balls kits as they came with the seals, too. Less hassle that way, too.

The bike with the loose bearings and races is a 1981 XJ 650 Maxim. It works fine, but that's a pretty low-tech bearing solution they have there!

HEY! It's Friday and we're in for a dry weekend with temps around 50! That's riding weather! Unfortunately I have a bad "wing" and can't ride for a few more weeks....guess it's time to finish up putting a couple bikes together for when I can ride! ?

Hey, if it works it's good. ?

You'd think the manufacturers would know all that kind of stuff. I have a local bearing/machine shop that I deal with on occasion: just go it with, "Hey, I need something like this...." and they can almost always find something that fits. The O'Reilly auto parts place down the road is pretty handy for it, too: they have bearing books that they let me look through if I need something.

Friday, indeed! Woot!

Hey read my post again :usa:

I did not say ball bearings are better then roller bearings but ball bearings can deal with crap better then roller bearing so with that said

Yes roller bearings will take very high loads but it is over kill for what we are talking about but at the end of the day run what ever blows your hair back.

The point I was trying to make was low maintenance ?

Hey read my post again :usa:

I did not say ball bearings are better then roller bearings but ball bearings can deal with crap better then roller bearing so with that said

Yes roller bearings will take very high loads but it is over kill for what we are talking about but at the end of the day run what ever blows your hair back.

The point I was trying to make was low maintenance ?

Sorry, wasn't trying to poke at you. I work for a company that sells bearings, but my background is electrical. After this many years the bearing stuff has rubbed off on me, though..... Where do you work? I bet we either work for the same company or competitors....I work for a distributor....one of the "big three" here in the states.

Sorry, wasn't trying to poke at you. I work for a company that sells bearings, but my background is electrical. After this many years the bearing stuff has rubbed off on me, though..... Where do you work? I bet we either work for the same company or competitors....I work for a distributor....one of the "big three" here in the states.

I am a millwright I in stall what you sell so when it comes to anything that I deal with on daylily basis I am like you I take it to heart. I was just trying to help the new guy with my experience:ride:

I work for a tear 2 company hear in Canada

But it’s all good

Have a good one:thumbsup: