Sign in to follow this  

DRZ250 Fork Springs

I was talking to one of the techs at Race Tech and he told me that the DRZ250 has .37kg/mm progressive wound springs. Can any of you confirm or deny this? This seems to be one of those mysteries that is hard to get information on. Thanks for your response.

That sounds about right. I have the big shop manual and all I can find is the fork spring free length is 501.6 mm with a limit of 492 mm.

So if I were to replace the stock springs with a straight rate .40kg/mm spring, would the forks not seem so soft?

The .40 springs would be a 8% increase in stiffness. Another trick would be to add 15cc of fork oil to each fork leg. This will also stiffen the front up a bit.

Are you sure about the 15cc? Tha't like a small medical grad syringe.

15 cc's per leg is enough to make a difference. You are making the air cushion smaller in volume so it will compress more. Others have tried this with success.

I bought a set of .44's from Factory connection for my DRZ 250. They work just fine for me. I weigh 210. I would like to find a stiffer spring for the rear.

Anyone know what the stock rear spring rate is? Or of anyone who makes a stiffer rear spring for the 250?

FWIW I have seen comments on Two Wheeled Texans forum that these two companies work on DR-Z250 suspensions. I have not tried any of them.

Front Fork spring - www.mx-tech.com

Rear shock spring www.racetech.com (they will also rebuild and revalve for $180 - yes, the shock IS rebuildable. RaceTech makes a taped reservoir cover that solves the sealed reservoir problem)

Thanks D-Banger, thats really handy info.

I wish I knew thats how light the fronts are, I bought a set of fronts .46 because I assumed our stock ones would be close to an XR or TTR250, and thats what 90kg people put in them.

But from your info it seems that the DRZ is very light in the front end... which explains why these springs are so damned stiff!!!!

I am going out to the shed and finish putting my forks back in after fitting a set of teknik .44Kg/mm springs. Bit warm to go and try them out this weekend though. The Teknik recommend .43Kg/mm upto 85Kg ride weight.

Went for a ride Monday for the first time with the new springs. First decent rains of the new year here, so very greasy. Didn't have much grip at all, but did find the balance between front and rear was very even. The front held its line in rutts better than ever and deep sand was FINALLY no problem. Had a little trouble with the front washing out real easy when tipping into a greasy corner but the clickers were both still on full hard from the old springs. Should be able to sort it out with a bit of running back and forth.

FWIW I have seen comments on Two Wheeled Texans forum that these two companies work on DR-Z250 suspensions. I have not tried any of them.

Front Fork spring - www.mx-tech.com

Rear shock spring www.racetech.com (they will also rebuild and revalve for $180 - yes, the shock IS rebuildable. RaceTech makes a taped reservoir cover that solves the sealed reservoir problem)

That is my thread.

And you can get a custom wound rear shock spring from the guys in Oklahoma. Dont recall the name but it is in the post. I was not able to find a non custom rear shock spring. The valving on the racetech rebuild worked OK, even with the stock spring, and I am heavy at 250. I am told that the stock shock spring is 6.0.

For the front forks, I found the read deal. Eibach 996 series for the DR 350 work without a spacer. The mx tech spring squeaked and slapped because they were too small diameter, and was 6" too short. I personally measured and cross referenced the stock spring, and it matched the Eibach 996 perfectly. It is 100% quiet and perfect in every way. I put in a .5 for my heavy weight and couldn't be happier. There IS a fork spring upgrade for the DRZ250 - just nobody knows about it. Buy it, install it, and if it does not work, I will eat my shorts.

Standard in US is 7.5W. You could add 15cc's of oil per fork leg as well. Others say that helps.