Sign in to follow this  

Anyone racing a DRZ400S?

I currently have an "S" set up strictly for the dirt. Is anyone out there racing these with any success? I have never raced, but I am very interested in getting involved. I am a little overwhelmed with info and don't know where to start. I just recently got back into off road riding after 20 years of strictly street riding an I'm loving it. Who are active off road clubs in the west L.A. / south bay / santa monica area? Thanks, ride on.

There are a few here in my area sucessfully racing hare scrambles on DRZ's. They run against everthing thing else and generally finish respectably. Most appear to be fairly stock S models.

I have never raced, but I am very interested in getting involved.

Up here in the NW there are clubs that put on poker runs which might be a good way to get your feet wet if you are considering off road racing. They are typically more family oriented and have harder or easier ways through the course to be more friendly to all skill levels. They are marked similar to what an off road race might be and you will get the feel for what kind of terrain an actual race might include. They are not a race but if you go with a couple buddies of similar skill level you can have some fun going against each other. Another plus is for the most part everybody is going the same direction on the course reducing the chances of a head on (still best be careful).

While a very large portion of racing is the riders ability, the DRZ is eventually going to be holding you back. Plus you will be working twice as hard as the guys on lighter more dedicated offroad bikes to go at the same pace.

That said, if you just want to do it for a good time, there is no reason you can't. Just make sure to get the suspension setup for you.

I plan on racing mine a few times this year. The DRZ definetly needs a few things first before it should even go off-road. Tires, suspension, and case guards are a good place to start, and IMHO are necesities. A FCR carb and better breathing head pipe will help a ton. BTW, I'm not racing to be competitive at all. Finishing a race with my little piggy bike will be good enough for me.

Its not a race bike really but is respectable in hair scrambles, etc...