Sign in to follow this  

1989 NX 650 Exhaust????

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to TT and was hoping someone out there would be able to help??

I have an 89 NX650 and was going to swap the stock exhaust with a aftermarket full exhaust. After reading several articles it does not sound like there is any real power gains and what you lose in weight is really no big deal. I have decide that drilling some holes in the stock pipes and changing my air box and filter will be the better option. How many and what size holes would one drill if they were to make this mod??? Would the bike need to be re-jetted after said mods were made??? Any help would be appreciated thanks!!!!

Alex

Aftermarket pipes are usually designed to be freer breathing than the stock units. If there are no real Hp gains to be had with the aftermarket brands (which I would doubt) then that would tell me that the stock setup is pretty efficient (which I would doubt). Honda exhausts are the backpressure kings and it would take more than drilling a few holes in them to get them to flow properly.Open up the airbox, get a reasonably priced pipe, I have a FMF on my XRL, preferably a super trapp type where you can add or subtract discs to tune the pipe, more discs = less backpressure and jet properly. If the NX comes with the vac. carb. I would stay with it. Get the restrictors in it opened up and you'll be happy.

You do not want to drill holes in the airbox. The NX's air filter attaches to the airbox on the incoming side (not the carb side). So drilling holes in the airbox will let air bypass your air filter.

To make the airbox breathe better, start by removing the snorkle (big rubber part on top). There are three philips head screws that secure it. You can see two on top of the box. The third is hidden by the snokle, so you'll have to spin it a bit to find it. Removing these screws will release the filter holder inside the box which also secures the snorkle.

I've got the pipes off my bike so I just went out to weigh them. They are 7 lb each, 14 total. That's just the mufflers, not the headers. There is a lot of weight to be lost by going to aftermarket mufflers, that's one reason I'm replacing mine. I would be surprised if a better muffler didn't give more power.