Sign in to follow this  

Hissing sound from stator side

Hi guys, just a quickie. Whenever I turn over the engine with the nut on the stator, I hear a hissing sound coming from the inspection hole, almost sounds like air hissing. Blowby from the rings? My oil smells 'gassy' but IDK if I'm getting blowby or if it's normal. Thanks

The hissing is the fuse on the bomb thats about to go off. J/K LOL. You will get some air moving in and out from the lower end. When the piston comes down it pushes air and the air has to go somewhere. Also when the piston goes up and compresses the air in the cylinder it builds up pressure and the ring never seal perfectly (near perfect sometimes) and lets the compressed air out slowly with a hiss. As for the gassy smell, maybe the carb has leaked and flooded the engine contaminating the oil.

If the PO was a diaperhead, the bomb would kinda make sense. I'm guessing it's slowly leaking past the rings, since I feel the initial force of the piston moving up but after that it slowly moves up further, as if it was leaking somewhere. Nothing major I suppose, but was just worried since the PO actually rebuilt the motor 3k miles ago. The gassy oil stumps me though...I'll torch it one day and believe me, I'll know if it has gas in...