Sign in to follow this  

Should I sell the 08?

So I after this last weekends ride, my hour meter sits on 121 hard hours on my 08 KX250F.

The bike is starting to develop that looser feel well used bikes get. I have heard that you should sell a KXF after 80hrs...and I am somewhat concerned about a catastrophic engine failure in the near future. (Second piston, original crank and valves) The bike has been absolutley amazing, but i think it might be time to retire it and get a fresher/newer model...

Would you put money back into an 121hr 08 or sell it for a fresh '08/'09/ wait for a '10?

--Looks like I can get about 3600 for it...

Any input is appreciated!

Thing that sucks is that bikes go down so much in value the moment you buy them and drive them off the lot.

Another thing that sucks is trying to sell them.

What i would do, is keep it.

It´s a tough question... How much would it cost to freshen it up to standard?

New crank and bearings

Piston kit

Valve job

Wheels?

Chain?

Suspension?

Plastics?

After that you could race it for another season, but is it worth it?

Maybe it would be better (moneywise) to just sell it to a beginning rider that doesn´t ride it as hard. That way it won´t blow up in the first two months he has it...:)

i would go with a newer model. Buy the time you replace everything it will be more then you wanna spend and then you can put a down payment on a new bike or just go buy a new one!

+1 for a new bike, nothing better than riding a new tight bike, old a lose not so much.

Maybe it would be better (moneywise) to just sell it to a beginning rider that doesn´t ride it as hard.

So make the man an offer D-K :)

I personally hate getting new bikes, it feels like it takes me a whole season to dial everything in just the way I like it, and then to sell it just after you dialed it in for yourself is not fun IMO, then you have to mess with the new bike, re-jet, buy aftermarket parts, adjust controlls etc.etc. my 2 cents

I personally hate getting new bikes,

You are one of the few then, lol:lol:

It´s a tough question... How much would it cost to freshen it up to standard?

New crank and bearings

Piston kit

Valve job

Wheels?

Chain?

Suspension?

Plastics?

After that you could race it for another season, but is it worth it?

Maybe it would be better (moneywise) to just sell it to a beginning rider that doesn´t ride it as hard. That way it won´t blow up in the first two months he has it...:)

It probaly needs a crank, piston, lots of bearings, chain and sprockets, Fork and Shock rebuilds, New valves...

OK, well I think I will put it up for sale this weekend, thanks guys...

Luigic, NEW BIKES ARE THE BEST!

Interesting post. My son has a 08. Its maybe 14 months old, 137 hrs. Had 2 top ends, 1 valve job, top ends were 40-50 hrs, Clutches lasted a yr. Bike has been great. He races and rides. Never a problem

We go to a place this past week, about 250 miles away. He claims bike is odd, something is not right. So Header cracks in half. I find another one quickly. Some one just happened to have one. :thumbsup:

He goes back out for a ride, 10-15 min later the small connector thing that the Rad hose connects to and goes into the head comes out. Looks like it was high powered glued or spot welded with something. It didnt brake just popped out. I take it to a engine builder who just happened to be down the street, said it needs a new head. Dont jb weld that in. After inspecting that we notice the #$@&ing frame is cracked and bad.

I take well care of it,probably change the oil to much. Top mech/engine builder does all the engine work.

Seems the thing is just falling apart.

Interesting post. My son has a 08. Its maybe 14 months old, 137 hrs. Had 2 top ends, 1 valve job, top ends were 40-50 hrs, Clutches lasted a yr. Bike has been great. He races and rides. Never a problem

We go to a place this past week, about 250 miles away. He claims bike is odd, something is not right. So Header cracks in half. I find another one quickly. Some one just happened to have one. :thumbsup:

He goes back out for a ride, 10-15 min later the small connector thing that the Rad hose connects to and goes into the head comes out. Looks like it was high powered glued or spot welded with something. It didnt brake just popped out. I take it to a engine builder who just happened to be down the street, said it needs a new head. Dont jb weld that in. After inspecting that we notice the #$@&ing frame is cracked and bad.

I take well care of it,probably change the oil to much. Top mech/engine builder does all the engine work.

Seems the thing is just falling apart.

Wow! A cracked frame?!? Sounds like 120-150hrs is the magic range (mine just blew a head gasket this weekend) And a friend of mine with an 08 had a bearing in the trans go at around 120 too.

One of the top engine builders in my area says that you should get rid of a KXF after 80 hrs (now that is probabaly more for fast intermediate riders).

I'm a decent novice rider and I semi-abuse my bike and its at about 150% of what he recommends to sell it at....sounds like a good time to sell!

Not bashing here but have you guys ever thought how ridiculous it is that you can only get 120 hours of riding out of a modern bike? Think about it kawasaki is in a win win situation. People buy a new bike every year or end up spending hundreds on replacement parts to refresh the bike.

Not bashing here but have you guys ever thought how ridiculous it is that you can only get 120 hours of riding out of a modern bike? Think about it kawasaki is in a win win situation. People buy a new bike every year or end up spending hundreds on replacement parts to refresh the bike.

Yes did think of that. My son was on 85's last yr. He rides every weekend.

These machines does not last that many hours, but they are deigned for closed course racing. Keep that in mind.

But for a racing machine to last for 100 hours is good in my book.

It depends on how you look at things.

Nothing lasts forever...

These machines does not last that many hours, but they are deigned for closed course racing. Keep that in mind.

But for a racing machine to last for 100 hours is good in my book.

It depends on how you look at things.

Nothing lasts forever...

Do I dare open up this can of worms? 2....str.....2 strokes! :thumbsup: Im just messing with you guys, but I still think for the every day racer/rider a bike should last more than 100 hours, and with racing the way it is after 85's you pretty much need a four stroke to stay competitive.