Sign in to follow this  

YZ 250's: The Good, the Bad, and the UGLY!

I'm considering buying a used YZ 250, and am wondering what years (in the last 5) were the best? Conversely, which were the worst and to be avoided?

i heard 06 has new suspension abd there little to no changes til 09. 05 first year alum frame start 06 up if you can

i road my 06 last night firs time on a 2 stroke and boy was it fun. maybe just the sound but i had a good time!

good luck

I'd do '06 and up for the improved suspension, but I found an '05 with modified forks and I'm happy.

I have nothing to say about '05 and below because I never rode or owned one however I bought an '06 back in August based on all the reviews from owners of '06-'08 YZ250s here on TT.

The bike is awesome....just a beast. I'm glad I took their advise. I'm really stoked on this bike. :)

really anything 02+ is good, if you have the money to blow get an 06+, but if money is tight then steel framed ones are fine too.

really anything 02+ is good, if you have the money to blow get an 06+, but if money is tight then steel framed ones are fine too.

Good advice.

I think I've heard the frame geometry is exactly the same between the last steel frame vs. the current Al framed bikes. It's just that Al was cheaper and sounds better on paper.

My 06' is a great bike. I've beat the snot out of it and it never complains. I would be just as happy with a steel framed bike if I could get the dual chambered forks on it. They are damn nice forks.

If you've got the extra scratch then get an 06+. If money is tight then try to find a nice 02-04' model year. All good bikes.

The frame geometry has not changed since 1998. The 97 was different in that the rake was not as steep by 1/2 degree.

The bike has been great for a long time. I would buy as new as you could afford. 99 and up at least. The motor is an improvement over the previous generation.

Own 2000 (woodsed out) and 2005 (mx). Love 'em both for different reasons. The steel frame seems to "flex" better in the faster sections, giving a better feeling (especially on rock and roots). The alum' frame feels better on the mx track, feels lighter, much improved suspension. But from what I hear, 06 and up is the best of the bunch. Can't really go wrong with any of 'em. Best bike for the buck...imo.

I am happy with my 05. I ride almost exclusively off-road and a suspension revalve was a top priority. Stock, I think the front sucks on anything other than a track. The rear wasn't so bad, but I did both. I don't have too much experience with the 06+ forks, but they are probably the best forks around. The bike has a very nuetral feel to it. Turning is completely predictable, yet it is very stable. In fact, it took me a couple of years to justify buying the damper mount for my Scotts that I had on previous bikes. I think the biggest advantage of the aluminum frame is in the looks department. I don't think there is a year that you want to avoid, but I would look at 06+.