Sign in to follow this  

Help with PW 50 Carb

Hey

I picked up a 2000 pw50 last week that had been terribly neglected. I had to replace some kick start parts and clean the carb. Its still got 70 main and i cleaned everything out and put it all back together. It will run for a few seconds then die when it is choked but wont even fire when not choked. For the 2 screws on the carb how far out should they be for a point to start and how do i tell what needs adjusted once its going. Heres a pic of it with the inline filter i installed in the bike. thanks in advance

PICT0024.jpg

Hey

I picked up a 2000 pw50 last week that had been terribly neglected. I had to replace some kick start parts and clean the carb. Its still got 70 main and i cleaned everything out and put it all back together. It will run for a few seconds then die when it is choked but wont even fire when not choked. For the 2 screws on the carb how far out should they be for a point to start and how do i tell what needs adjusted once its going. Heres a pic of it with the inline filter i installed in the bike. thanks in advance

PICT0024.jpg

Start 21/2 turns out on the pilot. Ditch the inline filter. Run clean gas. The screw on the left is your idle. Set that after you get your pilot where you want it. Also, pull the needle and see what position the clip is on, 2nd from top is stock. Might not be perfect but these numbers should get you close enough to be able to run it on the stand and pull the plug to get it perfect.

thanks ill get on that tomorrow and see how it goes. this is my first real attempt at tuning a carb in a few years

I cleaned out the pilot with some wire the other day so im thinking that should be alright. When i got the thing the inside of the carb was like tar it had sat so long

as simple as these carbs are, you probably want to take everything apart (perhaps leaving the adjustment screws alone) and soak it in carb cleaner.

I too have done the wire-cleaning method on jets but have read repeatedly that it's not a good idea, you're dealing with a device that has nanometers of tolerance in soft metal minor scratches make a difference.

I decided to order new jets so its on hold for a few days. I ordered them Friday so i hope they show up today

i'm reading along here with some of the same probs. when i start it, it runs fine then when i kill the choke it slowly dies out. tried to adjust the idle screwa and it helps. i want to take the carb out but there is a wire that is connected to it that i don't know how to take out. the other end is fixed too.

how do you get the carb out?

thanks, curt

I´m following this thread now as the problems I´m finding in mine are quite similar. Mine won´t even start. It will give me a little signal but will not sustain it.

I´m hoping this is an even easier fix. I poured some gas in the cylinder, plugged the spark plug and the bike didn´t start. It just gave me a stronger signal. So, I´m thinking it has no air? Spark plug is brand new and showing nice blue arc, carb was cleaned out (with gas only) and filter was cleaned out and oiled (now removed to check if there´s lack of air).

i'm reading along here with some of the same probs. when i start it, it runs fine then when i kill the choke it slowly dies out. tried to adjust the idle screwa and it helps. i want to take the carb out but there is a wire that is connected to it that i don't know how to take out. the other end is fixed too.

how do you get the carb out?

thanks, curt

Curt, the other cable nin your carb is the choke cable. Mine wouldn´t come out either so I cleaned on the outside as much as I could and then applied WD40 and warmed up (wiith a hair drier). Pulled and it finally came out. I posted it here and got lots good advice.

Thanks in advance.

You know when you kick it and it won't start but it didn't just simply stayed still. I have some ignition as if the engine is starting, but it will not sustain it.