Sign in to follow this  

KXF 06/08 Cylinder Head

Hi i am new to Thumper talk and need some advice. I have kxf 250 2006 model that has had what seems to be the usual problem of the exhaust cam picking up and scoring the journal beyond reasonable repair. I have found what looks to be a good head from a kxf 2008 including valves ect. Could anyone tell me if this would fit or not as nobody i have asked seems to know?

Cheers, Alex

• Like 1

Well I just cross referenced that part numbers for a 06 head to an 08 and the part numbers are the same, so I would safely say, go ahead and get the head for the '08, It should bolt right up just fine! :)

I really appreciate that lads. Its amazing how i've been asking people for weeks and within an hour on hear i have got a definitave answer. Cheers.

were always here for answers man and if one of us doesnt know then someone else does :)

Are you sure its not repairable? I had my journal damaged kind of bad and a company called engine dynamics repaired it for $120-$140.

Here is a picture:

P1050231.jpg

Oh I just saw you were in England. This company is in California so after shipping it might not be worth it. Check it out.

ok now im wondering.. i have an 06 kxf250. What causes this to happen? my bike has 100 hrs. on it looks brand new inside.

I would definitely make sure you get everything checked out before you even put a new head on. I have burnt up two cam journals because I didn't split the cases. Turns out the two oil screens in the crankcase were clogged causing an oil flow problem. If I were you I would take it to someone to have them inspect. I'm not sure what else could cause it than a bad oil pump or what I just said, but I'm still learning. Maybe DK or Primal can chime in on that.

I have been told that the torque on the cam caps for the KXF and RMZ is much lower than any other bike. So when they are accidentally over tightened this can compress the bearing against the journal and cause it to score. I had only just bought the the bike but will be investing in a torque wrench!

The reason my cam journals were damged is because my cam cap bolts were loose!

and yes, invest in a torque wrench.

I would definitely make sure you get everything checked out before you even put a new head on. I have burnt up two cam journals because I didn't split the cases. Turns out the two oil screens in the crankcase were clogged causing an oil flow problem. If I were you I would take it to someone to have them inspect. I'm not sure what else could cause it than a bad oil pump or what I just said, but I'm still learning. Maybe DK or Primal can chime in on that.

I agree, it could happen to the new parts, leaving you in the exact same spot.

Find out for sure what caused it to seize.

If it was an oil pressure problem, you need to split cases to clean/inspect the 2 oil screens and the oil pump itself.

If the problem was that it ran low on oil and overheated, you need to split the cases and inspect everything for discoloration and such. The crank does not like this.

If it was just an isolated event due to overtightened or loose bolts, then you might have some luck that it didn´t completely destroy the engine.

So try to be thorough in your investigation...

I'm also rebuilding my 05, which had the same problem! Only I took mine to the shop and they overtightend the intake cam cap and caused the cam to seize and spin on the cam shaft! Which of course they said they're sure they couldn't have done. But when I checked the torq it was 108 in/lbs !!!! MY QUESTION is how do you know if you have a faulty oil pump??? I am replacing my head this weekend and want to make sure I cover all my bases. Is it tough to tear apart? remember I'm still learning.

I'm also rebuilding my 05, which had the same problem! Only I took mine to the shop and they overtightend the intake cam cap and caused the cam to seize and spin on the cam shaft! Which of course they said they're sure they couldn't have done. But when I checked the torq it was 108 in/lbs !!!! MY QUESTION is how do you know if you have a faulty oil pump??? I am replacing my head this weekend and want to make sure I cover all my bases. Is it tough to tear apart? remember I'm still learning.

I agree, it could happen to the new parts, leaving you in the exact same spot.

Find out for sure what caused it to seize.

If it was an oil pressure problem, you need to split cases to clean/inspect the 2 oil screens and the oil pump itself.

If the problem was that it ran low on oil and overheated, you need to split the cases and inspect everything for discoloration and such. The crank does not like this.

If it was just an isolated event due to overtightened or loose bolts, then you might have some luck that it didn´t completely destroy the engine.

So try to be thorough in your investigation...

+1. Thanks dk you saved me alot of illedgable typing. This iphone is so hard to type on

To guy quotwd below. An oil pump noramly only goes bad due to three reasons. With two being parts needing replaced. The first is a clog befor during and after the pump. This just need the clogged removed. The second is a broken rooter/shaft/gear. This can happpen from a clog a manudefect use of two heavy oil and reving when its cold or a foreign object in the case. Lastly a broken case that prevents pressure buildup

I just found this on my 07' as well, You think just burnishing out the scoring marks with some emory cloth or scotch brite pad would be fine? I'm thinking in my situation it was a bolt tightness issue because the guy who had the bike before me was a $#@!^%, Thanks

Well its hard to say. You can send the head to mxtime.com and if dave might be able to smooth it out.

I'm actually getting ready to send it out to him for his full valve seat cut and new valves and spring job. Maybe i will ask if he could smooth it out a little for me. Thanks for the input.