Sign in to follow this  

Help!!! 1996 xr100r ....going nutts

Okay I have a 96 xr100r and I am really scratching my head here.

It starts. But with the choke on it runs really rough.....then when you put the choke half open or open it revs super high as if it were in nuetral with the throttle wide open. I have cleaned the carb, jets and all and still the thing wants to rev super high when the choke is on. can some one please help.

Also, the air screw has No effect at all when I turn it and the throttle screw has no effect at all.....

I am so confused!!!!

HELP!!:)

Take a close look at the needle on the throttle slide where it seats in the carb. Mine did something close to what yours is doing and after looking at the needle it was corroded/worn off in spots and wasnt seating properly. Changed the needle and problem solved.

Take a close look at the needle on the throttle slide where it seats in the carb. Mine did something close to what yours is doing and after looking at the needle it was corroded/worn off in spots and wasnt seating properly. Changed the needle and problem solved.

I did just that...Did not work. ...the needle was a little corroded but I polished it up with metal polish and it was shiney and like new....I will break the carb down again and look again. Thank you Sir.

Keep em coming...

you need to adust your card on the float or is the thottle tude in then carb lined up because that will do that

The throttle tube in the carb has a notch in it, it is supposed to line up withthe idle screw. if you have it rotated it will not go down all the way.

Not sure if it will actually go together this way but hey I took a shot.

Sounds like a vaccum leak on the intake side of the carb. Check the intake, boot clamp and gaskets. Take carb cleaner, starting fluid or even propane from a torch and spray it around the intake area. if the idle changes when it pass over a spot that is where the leak is.

Ray

Another vote for the slide being in backwards. There's a pin in the left side of the bore and a groove in the slide. If you put it in backwards the notch in the slide that the idle screw is supposed to bear against hangs up on the pin and the slide only goes down part way and never touches the idle screw.

The throttle tube in the carb has a notch in it, it is supposed to line up withthe idle screw. if you have it rotated it will not go down all the way.

Not sure if it will actually go together this way but hey I took a shot.

Another vote for the slide being in backwards. There's a pin in the left side of the bore and a groove in the slide. If you put it in backwards the notch in the slide that the idle screw is supposed to bear against hangs up on the pin and the slide only goes down part way and never touches the idle screw.

I feel like such a goof ball.......

You were both correct....

There is actually 2 notches in the slide. one side has a short notch and the other has a long notch in it. I kept putting the long notch side on the idle screw side......NO....It is the side with the SHORT notch that is sopposed to line up with the screw......:thumbsup::busted::lol::D:usa::lol:

Now the bike wont run for more than like 30 seconds....But I know that the other problem is fixed because it responds to the throttle now:banana:

So what do you think it could be now?

I am fixing this thing up after years ....it has an oil leak, a bad rear wheel (wobble) no tread on the back tire....(yeah thats right no nubs down the center).....and a ton of cosmetic problems.....missing left cover..etc....

But I traded it for some $300 valves....so I cannot complain...

So what do you guys think about it stalling after 30 seconds?

Now it sounds like a fuel supply problem. Open the drain screw on the carb and see if you get steady flow.

WOOOH!!!! FREAKIN WHOOOOO!!!!!

It is running!!!!!

cleaned the carb again...thennnnn

I figured out that I had been foolin with the carb so much that .....UH....DUH!!!!...might want to check the fuel level...

switched it to reserve and she fired up within 3 cranks......

put some 93 octane in an voila!!!!!! Rode her to the gas station for a full tank.....

What a dufus I am....:lol::D

Now I gotta find the oil leak....and get a new rear tire and wheel.....and start my transformation into either a mini chopper or a motard......

Thank you to everyone....:thumbsup::lol::usa: