Sign in to follow this  

DRZ 400s no 2,3,4 or 5th gear

The other morning on my way to work while doing, about 20 mph, I felt a thump, a grind and the rear locked up. I pull in the clutch and it stayed locked up. I thought my chain broke or had a clutch issues, pulled over, chain was fine. I rocked it back and forth and it broke free. I started it, put it in first, clutch was working fine. I moved about 3 feet and it locks up again. Get the bike home put it on the stand. I can spin the rear wheel while its in 3,4 and 5th gear like it in neutral. If I put it in 1st it binds up so that I can't spin the rear wheel, but the motor turns fine when I put a wrench on the primary bolt. Does that sound like a trany gone bad? BTW its a 06 with 19,000, mostly, hwy miles on. It's been running great to to this point. When I drained the oil, it was free of metal.

Thanks

C

Sounds like you need to pull the right side cover and the clutch hub and inspect the change mechanisim. It is held to the shift drium by a single bolt. If it comes loose, it can cause shifting or a lack if shifting to occur. If it is fine, then you may have a bent shifter fork.

Sounds like you need to pull the right side cover and the clutch hub and inspect the change mechanisim. It is held to the shift drium by a single bolt. If it comes loose, it can cause shifting or a lack if shifting to occur. If it is fine, then you may have a bent shifter fork.

I'll check it out.

Thanks

C

Ever found the countershaft nut loose? Put the tranny in N, chain off, rotate the couter shaft.. does it turn freely? no binding or catching at all?
I've swapped out CS several times and the nut has always been nice and tight. I've removed the right side case to check the primary nut and clutch, looks good. I'll remove the left side tonight so I'll check out any CS binding.

Thanks for your help.

C

Did you pull the clutch hub and check the gear change drum mechanisim?
No I hadn't, but I will shortly.

Thanks,

C

Ever found the countershaft nut loose? Put the tranny in N, chain off, rotate the couter shaft.. does it turn freely? no binding or catching at all?

CS nut is tight. With the chain off, in N, I can only turn the CS clockwise, something inside the tranny locks up and prevents it from turning counter clockwise.

William1, I pulled the hub, the gear change mech. looks fine me, it doesn't move freely, I think because something in the tranny is not allowing it to.

Thanks guys

C

See if the center bolt can very easily be loosened. If so, that is your problem. You'll need to R&R it to get it back in the correct position. Loctite the bolt!
Do you mean the primary drive nut?

No, in the center of the shift drum is a special bolt.

The shift shaft operates a lever with two pawls on the ends, these grab pins on the sifter mechanism on the end of the shift drum. The bolt is part #9 below:

28.gif

• Like 1

Yeah, you do, it is a pain to put back together. When you remove it, the pawls, pins and springs (12,15, 17) will want to go traveling. When reassembling, the pawls can fit into #10 either way, but only should be in one way or else the sides stick out. You'll know you messed up when you try to tighten the screw and bracket (#19 & #13) and you cannot do so correctly.

I was getting ready to do what William1 suggested. I took my flashlight and started looking around. Through one of the oil passages I can see some pieces of metal. I fished a couple out, one the pieces looks like part of the shifting fork. I'm taking in on Monday.

Thank you guys for all your help.

C

Wonder if the broken shift fork is just the end result of other broken or damaged parts, like a gear or two.

Wow, a broken shifter fork. Had you crashed the bike? The forks on the DRZ are pretty stout.
I took a fall a few months ago ( 2500 miles ago) on the street, doing about 5mph. All I had were a few scratches and a bent clutch lever. Bike ran fine after the crash.

Wonder if the broken shift fork is just the end result of other broken or damaged parts, like a gear or two.
That's very possible. I'm taking it in tomorrow, I'll know more later on in the week, when they take it apart. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks,

C

Any news? I have a very similar scenario minus the lockup (only have gears 1-3). I even had the same kind of get-off. I'm very interested in the final result, Drzclaud.

Any news? I have a very similar scenario minus the lockup (only have gears 1-3). I even had the same kind of get-off. I'm very interested in the final result, Drzclaud.
Yes, but it's not good news, at least for me. Hopefully yours won't be as bad. Turns out that 3rd gear broke into 5 pieces taking out a shift fork, damaging the drive shaft and internal parts of both cases. Cases need to be replaced, parts and labor $1200.

Good luck!