Sign in to follow this  

06 sxf 250 starts hot not cold

i am having a realy hard time geting my bike to start once it is started it runs fine and starts good hot i have done the following things

cleaned carb and all jets

new plug

valves were done about 15 hrs ago

cleaned and reoiled air filter

the bike is stock other than having the head ported a little i live in indiana and it is still a little cold 50ish any one who has anny advive it would be appericated

Are you sure the pilot jet is not compramised (reduced in size) by a coating of varnish? I would soak it in lacquer thinner for a day or two.

Does the engine have good compression? You can not evaluate compression with your foot! You will feel the resistance of the valve springs and think you have compression! Do a compression test, we are looking for 115PSI.

In the bottom of the carb there are three jets, center one is main jet, forward center is pilot, rear and off side is starting, I think you have a #85. That is .85mm. On mine and others in northern climates I drill them to 1mm. I know that sounds crude by that jet does nothing once you turn the choke off, it only effect how much the choke works, These bikes work best with idle speed of at least 1800 RPM, fast guys set them higher! Supercross guys set them at 3,500, no stalling and no bogging! Problem with fast idle is they often do not have sufficent vacuum to start cold, so when your done riding turn the idle down low. After you have started and warmed the engine for the next ride turn the idle speed up, do not be timid. Squids set it low so they can slow down without touching the brake.

when i took the pilot out you could barly see through it so i cleaned it up good and the bike started on the second kick i rode it yesterday and it took me almost a hour to get it started last summer it would start with in three kicks yesterday i had to kicxk it like a two stroke to get it started and i have never had to use the choke where can i get a compression tester thank's

my start procedure is as follows i turn on my gas 110 and that is it. i have never had to use the choke i have pulled it out before but it did not seem to help when i kick it i do one long slow hard kick wait a second and repeat. once it is running it runs great

well if it starts without the choke then I would think its too rich on the pilot jet. You may be able to get it closer with the fuel screw, turn it in a turn or so and see how that changes the starting. You should need to use the choke when its cold.

ok thanks i will try that it has been realy warm here the last few days 60 to 65 and my bike has started with in the first 20 kicks and started once on the first one after my bike was warm i turned the idel down till the bike almost died than back out one and a half turns it started on kick 14 the next day