Sign in to follow this  

Any thoughts on this bizarre non-starting issue?

Hey guys. I took my buddy's DRZ-E out to X-Mas Valley today and had an issue. I'm climbing a dune (realize I'm not gonna make it) and drop from 3rd to 2nd, then the bike eventually stalls. I go to press the magic button and NOTHING! No starter, no noise, no anything. At first I suspect the clutch switch. Checked everything out, even bypassed the switch...Nada. Main fuse was still good. Kill switch wasn't stuck. Batt terminal connections solid. Got light from the headlight. I had a buddy pull-start me in 3rd...BAM...Fired right up!

I have yet to pull it apart to check it out. Anything I should check first? I thought that it was weird that I didn't get any noise whatsoever from the starter. I figure if it had gone bad, it may hum, crackle, click or something.

Something as simple as the e-start button or a connection?

Thanks,

I think you're on the right track. Start following the wires. Check for power and ground at the relay, starter, and switches. Look for busted wires and/or connections.

I had my relay go out one time - I guess from corrosion. I just bought another one and its been fine ever since.

I had that happen to me also, I shut the bike off and went to restart and nothing. it turned out to be the orange 3 prong connector near the ignition switch, I ended up taking the spade terminals out of the connector and crimping them so they fit tight to the male half of terminal

Okay guys...A bit more help. Here's what I've done. I have inspected wires and can't seem to find any frays, pinches, loose connections, etc. I jumped the starter relay and got her to turn over! So, starter is good, power is good.

Soooo, it's gotta be the start button/wires/connections or the f-ing relay?

You can essentially "hot wire" the bike by jumping the start button wires, right? I tried that with no luck.

How can I be sure the relay is good?

Sorry guys...I's like to give a little bump for my last post /\

I jumped the starter relay and got her to turn over! So, starter is good, power is good.----OK. I assume you mean you jumped across the relay 6mm terminals.

So, it's gotta be the start button/wires/connections or the relay? ---Yes.

You can essentially "hot wire" the bike by jumping the start button wires, right? I tried that with no luck.-----Not sure what you mean here or what your results were. Yes, you can activate the relay by "hot wiring" it and get the motor to spin over, but you need "key-on" power to the CDI for it to run.

How can I be sure the relay is good?----Disconnect both control wires. Ground 1 of the wires. Put 12 volts to the other wire. The relay should pull in and crank the motor.

check the wiring harness where it passes the steering head.

i pinched the harness up front on mine, had to go short hunting.

I've narrowed it down to the relay per Noble's test.:thumbsup: I wonder what caused it to fail?

I did a little double check today. I took the "bad" starter relay from my buddy's E and threw it on my S. My bike would not start. I guess this confirms my bad relay!

Does anyone know of a DRZ part-out that I may be able to get a reasonably priced, functional relay?

Has anyone taken a DRZ starter relay apart? It looks sealed.