Sign in to follow this  

Get a Free SPOT!!

Pay for a year at $149 and get the unit for free.

http://www.findmespot.com/robby/

Mark... great find, and great post.

... as you know I have a SPOT already. Mine had came up for renewal in Dec, but the auto-pay was denied being it's on an old cancelled credit card number. My brain started to clink and clunk... and I decided to call them. I asked, what would happen if I simply cancelled my existing accound and bought a new service... getting the device (for free per the deal). She happily said; "your a smart cookie" :banghead: And cancelled my account. Oh boy, kudos to me on a Friday.

I even asked why they'd allow that, or not put something in place to curb it. She said that it's not cost effective to worry about it (obviously they make the $$ on the service - as do most companies like this) and happily signed me up as a new customer.

... Now, I'll have two devices, one service. However, a backup for the day I lose one, it breaks, or whatever. :)

... Now, I'll have two devices, one service. However, a backup for the day I lose one, it breaks, or whatever. :)

.....or better yet, you end up selling it to your good ol' pal Brett at a chunky, feel-good discount! :banghead:

Just ordered mine. Another thing to give my wife a piece of mind. Just remember to turn it off when going out for apres ride beers!

I just ordered 6 for our team. At the last 2 races we had put the 2 we have on our chase rigs now we will have one for each race car and all our chase people. Race day we have been putting the spot on the roof of the chase trucks and when not racing we have been hidding and using them in case a

truck is stolen.

great deal

Does the SPOT only send a signal ?

Can it be located ?

Yes, that's the whole point of this nifty little device. The SPOT tracker is a GPS transmitter that can, among other things, notify emergency personal or your own personal contacts of your exact GPS location.

Read more here: http://www.findmespot.com

Yes, that's the whole point of this nifty little device. The SPOT tracker is a GPS transmitter that can, among other things, notify emergency personal or your own personal contacts of your exact GPS location.

Read more here: http://www.findmespot.com

Still not clear if it can be located without the user sending a signal from the Spot device.

What if I had one and did not send signal out, then my family wanted to locate me because I did not check in. Could they ??

Still not clear if it can be located without the user sending a signal from the Spot device.

What if I had one and did not send signal out, then my family wanted to locate me because I did not check in. Could they ??

Yes.

When you say; "without the user sending a signal" - I'd assume you mean, without the user 'pushing a button' to send a signal.

If you are using a SPOT, most likely you'd buy one with 'tracking' and be using it with tracking turned on. So yes, the SPOT device will track every 10min and show location on a map (google). If you press another button and cancel tracking, then no... it will not send a signal, unless you activate other features such as "all okay", "Help" or "911".

If tracking is on, and the device is placed properly on you or bike... and your out in open air, more than likely your family will know where you are. ... I've had family comment on this before where they ask why I was in one location for a long time. It's usually changing a flat, or a long needed rest trailside.

Yes.

When you say; "without the user sending a signal" - I'd assume you mean, without the user 'pushing a button' to send a signal.

If you are using a SPOT, most likely you'd buy one with 'tracking' and be using it with tracking turned on. So yes, the SPOT device will track every 10min and show location on a map (google). If you press another button and cancel tracking, then no... it will not send a signal, unless you activate other features such as "all okay", "Help" or "911".

If tracking is on, and the device is placed properly on you or bike... and your out in open air, more than likely your family will know where you are. ... I've had family comment on this before where they ask why I was in one location for a long time. It's usually changing a flat, or a long needed rest trailside.

Thank You.

If tracking is on, and the device is placed properly on you or bike... and your out in open air, more than likely your family will know where you are. ... I've had family comment on this before where they ask why I was in one location for a long time.

In other words, don't bring the Spot to the strip club with you.