Sign in to follow this  

1981 XT500....I think

Hello everyone,

First let me say that this is an awesome site and has some very nice information.

I was recently given what I was told was a 1981 XT500 ( I will post some pics tomorrow) that runs like a champ and starts on the very first kick. I ride it some but would like to know for sure what year, model and so on it is. Where should I look to on the frame for a serial number and the same for the motor.

The bike does have some issues as of late but I would like to discuss those once I find out what type of bike it actually is.

Thanks for any assistance,

first 3 digets of the VIN found on the steering neck and they should match the first three on the engine. Engine number is on the top of the trans. on the right hand side just above where it says Yamaha. what colour is it ? and posting some photos will definitely be a help

Hello everyone,

First let me say that this is an awesome site and has some very nice information.

I was recently given what I was told was a 1981 XT500 ( I will post some pics tomorrow) that runs like a champ and starts on the very first kick. I ride it some but would like to know for sure what year, model and so on it is. Where should I look to on the frame for a serial number and the same for the motor.

The bike does have some issues as of late but I would like to discuss those once I find out what type of bike it actually is.

Thanks for any assistance,

Here are the identification serial numbers for TT500's and XT500's

remember that the engine may have been replaced at some stage so the frame and engine numbers may not match. I use the frame number to identify the model and not the engine.

SINGLE SERIAL NUMBERS

YAMAHA 500CC 1976 -1981, US Market

YEAR MODEL US AUST COLOUR

1976 XT 500C 1E6-000101 Clean White

TT 500C 583-000101 Clean White

1977 XT 500D 1E6-100101 Ginger Brown

TT 500D 1T1-000101 El Toro Orange

1978 XT 500E 1E6-000101 2H2 Crystal Silver

TT 500E 1T1-100101 Competition Yellow

SR 500E 2J2-000101 Star Red & Black Gold

1979 XT 500F 1E6-220101 2H2 Clean White

TT 500F 1T1-200101 New Eltro Orange

SR 500F 2J2-020101 Chappy Red & Black Gold

1980 XT 500G 3H6-000101 3H7 New Yamaha Black

TT 500G 1T1-230101 New Yamaha Black

SR 500G 3H1-000101 New Ruby Red

1981 XT 500H 4R9-000101 Crystal Silver

TT 500H 2Y0-000101 White

SR 500H 4R8-000101 Star Silver

1978-9 HL 3K4

Hello all,

I have the serial numbner from the engine: 1E6-000336 and I think the serial number from the frame is 3945463. My son is going to make a youtube video later of the bike running and condition.

Thanks for any help.

howdy poppajac, i have been posting the same question for the same bike, you may find some of my replys and subsequent information useful, some good links to help you i.d. the bike as well.

its in the Vintage Forum,i dont know how to post the link

Regards

Taxsux

Thx Taxsux, I will check out the posts you have for information.

Here is a link to a youtube video of the motorcycle...

I, well acutally my sons found the frame serial number....3H6-000248

Thx

Thx

Its a 1980 XT500G the New Zealand equivalent is 3H7......

I can see from the video that it has a XT500G fuel tank, leading front forks which belong to a XT500G or H but remember that the inner tubes should be 50mm shorter then the F,G and H TT500 front fork inner tubes! and it is displaying a front and rear fender from a 79 TT500F

If it is a XT500G-H engine then its has all the bitz that a F,G or H TT500 has, larger intake valve bigger fin's on the head but has the CDI instead of points and has the 32mm carby instead of the TT500 34mm.

Good score!

Thanks for the replies everyone and for info in the frame 583. I do have a question or 12 though. I was told when I took the motorcycle that it had a TT500 motor on it, if that makes sense.

If I wanted to add lights and such, make it streetable, how difficult might this be? Would the motor not being original make it more difficult or could it be done? It will not be a daily driver but maybe an every other day...3 miles round trip.

Thanks,

Thx

AW, MAN! I wanted to hear it running! :thumbsup:

AW, MAN! I wanted to hear it running! :thumbsup:

Hey DGXR,

I am gonna clean it up this weekend and will get another video of it thumping. It sounds like it is running fine so maybe a new vid of it running others can tell me different.