Sign in to follow this  

compression test

I think your supposed to hold the throttle wide open and kick it several times as hard as you can.

With a clean, oiled filter on the bike start it up and get it to normal operating temperature. From there put the tester on, hold throttle wide open, hold the kill switch down, and kick until the needle stops going up.

hold the kill switch down

Not needed on a single. Not needed on a twin or multi if you disconnect the other plug leads, which you will be doing anyway to check the other cylinders.

Ok, he doesn't HAVE to hold down the kill button, if the plug is grounded. Because there is a chance of blowing the CDI, if that energy is not dissipated somehow....correct me if I'm wrong. I pretty sure CV4 is correct though.

Techmc

you are correct tech...either you put the plug in the cap and ground against cylinder or leave it out and hold the kill switch down like previously stated...It can ruin the CDI if you dont...hold the throttle wide open and kick until gauge stops going up...

It can ruin the CDI if you dont

To be honest, I've never seen any type of electrical damage by not holding the kill switch down but in theory it does sound possible to damage expensive ignition components by not doing it. It's really easy to hold the button and cheap insurance.