Sign in to follow this  

Cleaning Cylinder, Ports, Power Valve Etc

I have been cleaning my cylinder for a couple hours on two days now and I am making some progress, but I am looking for some tips on getting the passages clean especially the places where the carbon/sludge has built up in the power valve and subvalve bores and the operatng rod bores, etc. I got the cylinder itself clean no problem...the plating is good with nice crosshatching and all, but I am really having a tough time getting the crap out of the other passages and bores. I have used warm soap and water and rinsed the entire cylinder out with water, then I blew it out with compressed air and moved on to cleaning with WD-40 and sea foam spray. They don't take the crud off as well as oven cleaner, which I used on the power valves and subvalves, but I have not been excited about spraying that stuff all in the cylinder.

I read somewhere that hot tanking the cylinder might get it pretty clean. Has anyone had a shop do this and did it get the whole thing clean? That is about where I am at, thinking about getting it hot tanked.

I wanted to check here to see if I am missing some good ideas.

a 5 gallon bucket of chem-dip carb cleaner works for me...

E-Z Off oven cleaner, but rinse, air dry and repeat several times. It will eat aluminum if you just leave it on.

Yes, I made that mistake and know from experience. :-(

I like to use Permatex spray gasket remover. It sprays on real thick, let it sit a few minutes then wipe it off. Usually 90% comes off in the first shot, then you need to use the spray and a small wire brush for the rest. Finish up with brake clean. Wear gloves.

Oven cleaner works great on glass fireplace doors. :thumbsup:

Walmart brake cleaner in the blue can works good and it is cheap. I found this out after I had finished cleaning most of the top end parts on my KX:banghead:

If you have a turkey fryer setup then you have a cheap hot tank. A little Dawn dishwashing detergent and water in the pot and heat it up. It works very well. Even better is dishwasher detergent.

If you have a turkey fryer setup then you have a cheap hot tank. A little Dawn dishwashing detergent and water in the pot and heat it up. It works very well. Even better is dishwasher detergent.

That's a great idea! Do you actually bring it to boil?