Sign in to follow this  

Thinking of parting out...your thoughts?

Now that I've got the motor apart again for repair, I'm wondering if I should just part it out and save the $$$ for another motor. Since there's no damage, I believe I can come close to having enough $$ to almost buy a used running one. I don't doubt my mechanical ability to re-build it again, but still can't figure out why the tranny bearing failed and really don't want to run into another snag like that. I've determined repair costs to be in the ballpark of $100 for bearings, seals, and piston rings. Not bad, but if I could part out and need $100 or so for a used running motor, well - there's my point. I'd like your input though, so fire away :)

I guess it depends on how much you know about the used running motor you would buy....If it was me I would repair the motor you have and know the history of it. I hate that feeling of not knowing.

I can only say what I'd do if it were me. I'd fix what I have. I'd go through it every nut, bolt, bearing, and widget.

Find out how much Eddie would charge to get it back together and running.

I can only say what I'd do if it were me. I'd fix what I have. I'd go through it every nut, bolt, bearing, and widget.

+2, Thats what I would do too.

Where do you buy running used motors for $100 ?

proceeds from existing parted out motor + $100 = running used motor. pretty simple math equation.

proceeds from existing parted out motor + $100 = running used motor. pretty simple math equation.

sounds like a lot of work for $100 to me

I like the idea of sending it to eddie & let him get it right

Now that I've got the motor apart again for repair, I'm wondering if I should just part it out and save the $$$ for another motor. Since there's no damage, I believe I can come close to having enough $$ to almost buy a used running one. I don't doubt my mechanical ability to re-build it again, but still can't figure out why the tranny bearing failed and really don't want to run into another snag like that. I've determined repair costs to be in the ballpark of $100 for bearings, seals, and piston rings. Not bad, but if I could part out and need $100 or so for a used running motor, well - there's my point. I'd like your input though, so fire away :thumbsup:

if its apart just rebuild it. clean the screen out on the pickup and build yourself a nice motor INSTEAD of picking up somebody elses problems.

Even if I did get a used engine I'd be ripping into it anyway to be sure it was going to stay together for more than a week. May just as well fix what I have and know what I have.

Finding an inexpensive, good running motor is like trying your luck on finding some sunken treasure.

Get your current mill done right for about the same money and you'll know what you have.