Sign in to follow this  

suspension for my weight

bought a new 07' 450 last year as a left over and i want to get the suspension done on it. i ride motor cross tracks occasionally but ride mostly large pits with some pretty decent jumps. how should i do the suspension just re valve it or do springs also? oh I'm 6' and weigh 215lbs plus gear

Do both. Pro action did mine and it is great. The revalve makes a bigger difference than I thought. I have used RG3 before and they do good work too.

start with the springs, if your really good look into valves. Factory connection is really good

Ditto

I just installed correct springs for my weight, and it made a big difference. I used Factory Connection Springs.

I am 220, 210 after hitting the head, I found some useful guidelines from Motocross Action. When I get home I'll post them.

Steve

Since it sounds like you dont really do any racing, springs would be all thats really needed. The front is pretty close for your weight maybe one stiffer in the rear

Set the race sag then check static sag. If the static sag is within a certain range (which I can't remember at the moment, sorry) then the springs are fine. If not, you'll have to get stiffer springs.

This is what I did to mine. I'm 210 and ride MX.

From December 2007 Motocross Action;

Forks; new .48 springs, lowered the oil to 375cc, compression @ 11 clicks and rebound @ 14 clicks out.

Shock; new 5.8 spring, set sag to 100mm, high speed compression 2 turns out, low speed compression @ 7 clicks out and rebound @ 7 clicks out.

Im the same weight as you and I just set the sag at 4 1/4 " and was good to go.I still had the correct free sag so the rear spring was fine for me. Your manual has a good write up about the adjustments you can make. If you are bottoming out heaps adjust your compression adjusters in and try. You could add some oil to your forks as well. Try all the free adjustments first.