Sign in to follow this  

Best set up for bars and Scotts on 05 450X?

I have Scotts damper on my WR which I want to switch to my 05 450X I just picked up. Anyone have a set up with changing to fatbars? Tell me what you did. Also, what is the best/cheapest way to mount on the stock bars?

I'd say it depends on your height. I'm 6+1 and took off the over the bar mount and installed a submount in it's place. The ergonomics improved a lot for me since it raised the bars about 1.5". Now i need to get rid of the 'ol mount PM me if interested.

Scotts sub mount, I still need another 1/2 to 1" rise to be comfortable but it helped a bunch. You can adjust the bar height to make up for some of the rise using the under bar. I like the fact that the bars/pad are between me and the stabilizer, seems a bit safer.

Nayther,

What bars are you using? I am having the reverse problem - looking to get lower bend with a submount. I'm using protaper windham bends (fat bars).

Currently I have the stock 7/8" Renthals with crossbar. I have my Scott's mounted under the same bars on my WR. Tell me again where the "submount" is located on fatbars. I'd like to eventually get fatbars and it looks like all you need is to swap out the brackets for fatbars. Off to Stony all day for ride. I can really feel the difference without the stabilizer.

here's how mine turned out. I used Applied Racings new top triple clamp that the Scotts bolts right up to. It turned out nice. I went ahead and did top and bottom clamps off-set to 22mm..

applied01.JPG

applied02.JPG

applied03.JPG

applied04.JPG

applied05.JPG

Interesting....I just ordered a setup, and am wondering how it's going to work out with my vapor and billet protector. I'm 6'2" so I'm looking to go about as high as I can go.

1 x Pro Taper Contour Handlebars (02-79) = $66.49

Color Gold

Bend Windham

1 x Applied Racing Scotts SUB Mount (5741K) = $90.20

Color Black

Bar Mount Options 1 1/8"

1 x Cycra Pro-Bend Racer Pack (Pro-Taper Bars) (51-3102) = $104.45

1 x Pro Taper Lite Pillow Top Grips (024884) = $12.30

Color Grey

I also ordered the 1-1/8" cycra solution mount straight from cycra.

Anyone have something like this, AND the vapor in the billet protector? I also have a GPS mount that currently mounts on the stock crossbar.

Will the crossbar fit on the pro-tapers? I wouldn't think so.

Just wondering how much monkeying I'm going to have to do.

JC

I'm looking to get rid of a BRP submount off an 06 450x if anyone is interested. Went with Applied 22s and the BRP didn't match up.

Interesting....I just ordered a setup, and am wondering how it's going to work out with my vapor and billet protector. I'm 6'2" so I'm looking to go about as high as I can go.

1 x Pro Taper Contour Handlebars (02-79) = $66.49

Color Gold

Bend Windham

1 x Applied Racing Scotts SUB Mount (5741K) = $90.20

Color Black

Bar Mount Options 1 1/8"

1 x Cycra Pro-Bend Racer Pack (Pro-Taper Bars) (51-3102) = $104.45

1 x Pro Taper Lite Pillow Top Grips (024884) = $12.30

Color Grey

I also ordered the 1-1/8" cycra solution mount straight from cycra.

Anyone have something like this, AND the vapor in the billet protector? I also have a GPS mount that currently mounts on the stock crossbar.

Will the crossbar fit on the pro-tapers? I wouldn't think so.

Just wondering how much monkeying I'm going to have to do.

JC

Here's a pic that is somewhat similar to what you are talking about.

BRP Submount

Pro Taper Bars - Windhem Bend

Cycra Pro Bend Handguards

Vapor with protector

You can easily move the Vapor to the stock odometer position with a homemade bracket. And you can maintain your bar pad. I don't think you'll be able to use your stock crossbar, however I do recall that someone makes an accessory crossbar for these fatbars. MSR also makes the short accessory bar(in the pic) that bolts to the top of the bar mount ($33). I just moved my GPS mount directly to the bars.

vaporinstalled3.jpg

vaporinstalled4.jpg

34-3055-2.jpg

Here's a pic that is somewhat similar to what you are talking about.

BRP Submount

Pro Taper Bars - Windhem Bend

Cycra Pro Bend Handguards

Vapor with protector

You can easily move the Vapor to the stock odometer position with a homemade bracket. And you can maintain your bar pad. I don't think you'll be able to use your stock crossbar, however I do recall that someone makes an accessory crossbar for these fatbars. MSR also makes the short accessory bar(in the pic) that bolts to the top of the bar mount ($33). I just moved my GPS mount directly to the bars.

Yeah, that's real close. I think the GPS on the handlebar is the way I'll go as well. I'd much rather eat pro-taper pad than the alternatives.

We'll see how that solution bar changes things as well. It seems like it may take up some nice real-estate.

Is the key an easy add? Found the info on your site...

Thanks!!

JC

Yeah, that's real close. I think the GPS on the handlebar is the way I'll go as well. I'd much rather eat pro-taper pad than the alternatives.

We'll see how that solution bar changes things as well. It seems like it may take up some nice real-estate.

Is the key an easy add? PNo / Thread?

Thanks!!

JC

I'll send you a PM, so as not to hijack this thread with unrelated info.

If I am 6' can I use my stock renthal bars with a submount? I have 2006 450x and mostly ride desert single track standing. Adding bars, tree's, mount and stabilizer boy that could add up quick.

Hey JTO where'd you pick up that key ignition and the fox pad cover?

:thumbsup::usa:

The ignition switch is for a CRF230. I got it from Service Honda ($26). It is partially plug and play....... two leads are plugged into the existing harness, two are spliced in. I got the Fox barpad from denniskirk.com