Sign in to follow this  

Won't Turn Over

I'm trying to prep my bike for use again when it starts to warm up around here. I had to charge the battery from it sitting around (I'll probably have to purchase a battery tender for next time). My problem is, The battery is making the clicking noise that it's working, but the engine isn't making any signs that it's trying to turn over. None. I can put the bike in gear and push it and hear the piston turning, but absolutely nothing but clicking when trying to start it.

I'm planning on doing an oil change, and swapping out the gas (I also forgot stabilizer for the winter), and I wouldn't be surprised if it's flooded, so maybe that's all it needs. Any advice is greatly appreciated though.

I have a 2004 KLX400 off-road with a street-legal kit.

sounds like the battery is junk, enough power to close the relay (the clicking you hear) but not enough to turn the moter over. replace the battery (you can try to charge it longer but most of these batteries will not come back after being dead) and keep it on a tender if it is not used for a few weeks at a time

I am getting a battery tomorrow. When I jump it using my car (without starting the car, I know that's bad), the piston starts to turn over. The piston turns over really well and fast, but no start. I will also be picking up an oil filter and oil to do the oil change tomorrow, which I'm hoping will help. I'm thinking that the spark plug might be bad, but I'm going to replace it either way.

Is there a good way to tell if the spark plug is bad?

Get the battery, new plug(dont bother with a used plug) and gas, change your oil and filter if you havnt. Try it then and update us with results...

I've read the oil change FAQ, and have drained what I believe is all of the oil, although there wasn't much there at all. The problem is when filling it back up, the oil seems to be stuck at the top of the frame and isn't draining down into the motor at all. Is this normal?

This would be a good opportunity to buy the service manual if you don't have one.

lol, yeah, I've been planning to pick one up, but I figured an oil change wouldn't warrant one. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I just haven't worked on bikes before, only ATV's, so the whole "oil in the frame" thing is new to me. I also used to own a two-stroke wheeler, so 4-strokes I'm not very familar with 4-stroke motors. Things like timing adjustments scare me.

To follow up, the oil change is done, the spark plug is replaced. I have the carb out, everything seems okay for the most part barring two things. The tubes drained a lot of gas when I took it out, much more then I would have thought, probably flooded. The other thing to note was that the gas was tinted green. It's been sitting around for the winter, would this have caused that, or is this a sign of a much bigger problem (oil in carb)?

While I have the carb out, any other things I should check before putting it back in?

Sorry to bump this thread, but I'm looking to getting this running today while the weather is nice. Any one have any more suggestions?

The pilot jet was clear, and the floater wasn't stuck.

I put in the carb and tried to fire it up, but still no go. I doesn't sound any different then it did before I started working on it. The engine chugs and chugs like it wants to start.

I hope my bike isn't going to become an expensive paperweight.

My bike started today! :lol:

...Only it died 5 seconds later... :p

It looks like the gas was not flowing from the tank when the petcock is set to "on". When the tank is set to reserve it flows like a river. Before anyone asks, there is no vacuum hose to the petcock and doesn't have a spot for one.

When it initially started, the carb was dumping out gas, but then it stopped, and now the bike won't start, but tries to periodically. It fires for a couple of seconds, then dies again. What is going on?

Still sounds like a carb problem to me. You pulled all the jets and removed the float assembly and sprayed it out with carb cleaner?

Also, you say that there is no vacuum port on the petcock but it will only flow when set to res.? The tank is full enough to actually flow from the ON side?

Can you smell raw gas from the tailpipe when trying to crank over (don't put your face in front of the pipe obviously in case it backfires).

My bike started today! :lol:

...Only it died 5 seconds later... :cry:

It looks like the gas was not flowing from the tank when the petcock is set to "on". When the tank is set to reserve it flows like a river. Before anyone asks, there is no vacuum hose to the petcock and doesn't have a spot for one.

When it initially started, the carb was dumping out gas, but then it stopped, and now the bike won't start, but tries to periodically. It fires for a couple of seconds, then dies again. What is going on?

Ok so....I believe you found the problem. The off road will only have off-on-res where as the "on road model" will have on-res-pri on it. If you have the off road petcock and no gas is flowing in the on pos....then it`s either plugged or broken or out off gas. Time to investigate further..... Your all most there....:p:lol:

Erling

There's a possibility it's low enough on gas to need res, but it doesn't look that way, maybe it just looks like there's more in it then reality?

I checked the main and pilot jet, they seemed clean. I did not spray it down as well as I should have. The carb has a couple of other problems I was hoping I could overlook, one of the mounts for the screw to the float bowl is stripped, and the idle screw cable is broke.

Maybe this is just a good reason to get the MX-FCR?

$600 is a lot of money though. But at least I know it'll fire.