Sign in to follow this  

47 Tooth Sprocket

Anyone ever try this on theyre YZ? Im getting quicker on mine now and im finding my gears are far too short of dessert. Will with lengthen them a bit?

that gearing will lengthen them a bit..... but you may burn out your clutch while trying to get up to speed. 14/50 is stock and many guys on here say that gearing is waaay to high to ride like they want so the go with a 14/ 51 or 14/52 gearing some as much as 14/54. I personally like the 14/50 for MX, now in the desert I know i'd gear up also, just don't know how a stock Yz250 will pull off bottom with a 14/47 gearing. Good luck....

Techmc

I use 14/48 and that seems to go alright for offroad but I reckon 14/47 would be going a bit too far. 1st will be way too tall. Also I should add I have this gearing as there is a bit of transport sections where I ride, so it makes them a bit more comfortable. It would be nice to have 14/50 for the tighter/hilly stuff....

Hmm... it just always seems when i get on the straights or a fast trail i run outta gears fast. Maybe just a simple 49 change? or maybe 15/50? IM just trying to see whos got this setup for riding, and if they liked it.

what about a WR 3-5th gear? its a bit more work than a simple sprocket change and more money but i know a lot of the off road guys on here seem to really like going that route. it would save your cllutch and you would get some longer gears

See i was thinking about that but i dont really want to put alot of money into that, i want to get mysuspension done. I dont have a problem with the first 3 gears, but the last 2 are like sub gears. Theyre sooooo short.

I'd suggest trying a 15T front sprocket. About the same as 14-47, and cheap. If you don't like it, you aren't out much money.

I run 15-51 and a WR 5th gear. I really don't have any trouble with the gearing being too tall, I still only use 1st on only the tightest of trails.

Locally a couple guys run 14-47/48.

Actually think it's not bad depending on ability and track type....For desert I don't see why not!

Ah! an arizona rider... yea i was thinking 15/50 cuz thatll be better for the gears but not to drastic. And if i dont like it... dang out 13 bucks! lol ok imma see how much a renthal 15t is... will it fit with the stock case saver?

I run 15/50 and find it great. It takes some of the jumpiness out of first and affords better traction through the tight stuff. I run a FWW also.

Last time I changed the clutch plates after 2 years of running they where still in spec.

Ah! an arizona rider... yea i was thinking 15/50 cuz thatll be better for the gears but not to drastic. And if i dont like it... dang out 13 bucks! lol ok imma see how much a renthal 15t is... will it fit with the stock case saver?

I run 15/50 with the stock case saver... the chain just squeeks by

A 15T front sprocket will JUST fit.

My '05 came with a 14/45. It's fine for open country, but I like to crawl more than rip. Since the chain and sprocket are new, I put a 13 tooth on front (basically the same as 14/48, right?). When it's time for replacement, I think I'll probably go 14/50, even for open country work. That's as fast as I need to be going and I like the snap of lower gearing.

Wanted to add- even with 14/45, once you get going, the bike's fine and getting going isn't that hard either. Mine has an 11 oz FWW which probably helps.

for a motocross track what are yall doing? down 1 or up 1 or 2?

for a motocross track what are yall doing? down 1 or up 1 or 2?

14/50 with the FWW removed on my 265, It gets a bit hairy though:eek: