Sign in to follow this  

1989 CR250R Swingarm

Hey, Tried this in vintage but no help, but Maybe you guys could.

I just got a part for my bike and found out that you had to take the engine out of the frame to get at it and work on it properly. I saw that the engine was connected in three major places: 1) The Head 2) The Front and 3) Through the swingarm in back. I can get the first two off, but I seem to be getting stuck on the bolt that goes through the crankcase and the swingarm. Ive tried tapping away at it with a hammer with no results, and Ive also tried using an impact driver to maybe loosen it up? any help would be greatly appreciated.

could try heating with propane torch not too HOT!!! and hit with a good penetrating oil.

also try a pneumatic hammer with a pointed chisel.

I'm a lil confused. Sorry.

You can't get the nut off or you can't get the long bolt pushed out?

most likely the bearings have seized and worn grooves into the swingarm bolt.

Try to beat it out. you are going to be buying new swingarm and linkage bearings here and also a new swingarm bolt.

If beating it out does not work, then you have to cut the bolt on both sides of the swingarm between the frame.

What I have generally seen is that corrosion where the swingarm bolt passes through the cases binds it up and prevents it from being removed. A little heat on the cases helps. Don't be overzealous with the torch. You will probably destroy the bolt trying to remove it, don't worry your dealer will supply you with a new one for around $30. I've seen cases where it is so bad that the bike has to be completely disassembled and the frame put in a hydraulic press to drive the bolt out. Generously coat the bolt in anti-seize or grease to prevent this from happening again in the future.

Take off real wheel, shock and linkage, heat engine cases where the bolt goes thru with a propane torch(go easy) and spray a penetrating oil around the area where the bolt goes into the cases on both sides. You may have to do this several times letting it cool off in between. Try knocking the bolt back and forth, it only takes a couple of mm's of movement to get the oil in there. I have used an aluminum punch on the threaded side with the nut on there and off. If you are careful you can keep from messing up threads.

I'm a lil confused. Sorry.

You can't get the nut off or you can't get the long bolt pushed out?

I cant get the bolt pushed out. Looks like someone before me did it though. Will I really have to replace the swingarm along with all of the other stuff? That stinks:cry: