Sign in to follow this  

oil leak 09 te 450?????? ***

OK-- i bought an 09 te 450 and love it so far---when I ride it!!

I crashed at like 3 mph and the forks got all twisted up-- ***

can't seem to straighten them up in fork clamps-- need advice!

I took it in for first service-- valve check--- they did not replace the valve cover gasket

Its leaking oil -- I took it back and they said" we called husky and they said it had a 70 % chance of leaking if the gasket was not replaced!" --- No sh%^ sherlock:bonk:

They now have ordered a gasket $27 and I am still waiting!

Did I buy a lemon? is this normal service? Or does Northern Colorado BMW have some issues with service or what?:)

I have owned the bike for 5 weeks and they have had it for 2 weeks because they didn't know it needed a valve cover gasket

I have had my rocker covers off both of my 08 TXC450's at least 10 times each and have never replaced the gasket it is re-useable.

don't you have to put silicone sealant on the U-shaped half moons each and every time- is it leaking there???

on those types- I think you commonly do

When you say forks are twisted, do you mean the front wheel line up with the handlebars? If so, loosen the triple clamps until there is no tension on the bolts and the straighten the front wheel just like on a bicycle. Then tighten the pinch bolts back up with a torque wrench. DO NOT just go by how tight they feel. Go by the torque spec in your manual. This is important as others here will attest to.

If the front twisted that easily after a low speed wreck, the pinch bolts probably weren't torqued right in the first place.

Sounds like you have dealer issues more than bike issues. Huskys are easy to work on and as reliable as any other brand.

These guys are fairly new to selling Huskys. I was back there a year ago and talked to some of the guys on the floor. George (Uptite) had talked to them on the phone several times as they needed help on service etc.

Sounds like your setup may have been lacking a bit. Pretty sure the valve cover gasket is re-usable.

There is a Marzocchi service manual on line. Shiver 50

http://www.husqvarnaracingclub.cz/ohqv_manualy.html

See if that can answer some questions. If not get the service manual on CD from https://www.halls-cycles.com/ or your dealer for $10 and that will have the specs on removing and replacing the forks.

I had a slow speed incident with a tree (prob 10mph or so) that jumped out at me. Same thing with forks, as mentioned just back off the clamp bolts and pull the front wheel straight again. Also mine moved on the rubber mounted top bracket so I backed that off and straightened the bars.

I'm sort of thankfull that there's a bit of give there as like most things the more rigid it is the more chance of bending an actual part.

I took it in for first service-- valve check--- they did not replace the valve cover gasket

Its leaking oil -- I took it back and they said" we called husky and they said it had a 70 % chance of leaking if the gasket was not replaced!" --- No sh%^ sherlock:bonk:

The gasket need not be replaced. Probably just a little bit of dirt got stuck between and it's causing the oil leak.

The bars have rubber inserts, when you dump the bike then can get twisted a bit. Loosen the bar mounts bolts, straighten. If that doesn't do it, take the bars off, unbolt the mounts, take the rubbers out and swap them around.

Thanks for the info I think I AM GOING TO TALK with the shop and insist they do a top to bottom inspection to confirm the setup was to par.

I tried to twist the forks in the clamps and the bolts were barely tight.I still couldn't get them straight- I will check the bar mounts too.

Maybe they can fix the front in exchange for my time they wasted by improperly checking the valves? two weeks no bike!

I think they did rush the setup. I love the bike when it is being ridden. But they need to make me a happy customer at this point.