Sign in to follow this  

Messed up rear brakes?

My rear brakes were always weak like a mushy pedal but now if you push on the pedal softly it goes right down with no force. But if you push down fast and hard it has a good feel and stays up. Is my master cylinder blown out? thanks for the help

My rear brakes were always weak like a mushy pedal but now if you push on the pedal softly it goes right down with no force. But if you push down fast and hard it has a good feel and stays up. Is my master cylinder blown out? thanks for the help
It may be in need of a rebuild. I had to rebuild one a long time ago...basically a new o-ring for the piston/plunger if I recall correctly. I don't remember mine being able to pump up when it whent though. It was blowing by the piston and no amount of pumping was going to create preasure.

I had mine go out as I approached my families motorhome wide open while camping in the desert. Planned on a stupid skid near the rig and park it. ( I was a teenager...) With no response from the rear brake when it came time to jam...a moments hesitation, I lost precious yardage...still sailing toward the MH. I leaned my bike over and did all but lay it down, cutting hard and missed our big flat bed trailer by "maybe" a foot. I don't know exactly how close because I figured I was a gonner and I shut my eyes at the last minute. :) I just missed the trailer and did a nice loop back to the MH (slower this time :banghead:) and parked it. That was down right spooky.

Whatever it is...get it working right. TRUST ME. lol

Yeah instead of pumping down the line it shoots fluid out of the reservoir.:)

Sounds like its time for a rebuild but you can always check ebay and get a complete rear brake setup cheap and keep yours for extra parts.....hahaha i love having extra parts....just another idea to fix your problem.

I found one on there for $.99 with no reserve off a 97. I'm going to buy it.

Would you put a used piston and rings you got from someone else in your motor?

Whenever it comes something really important, like brakes, BUY NEW!

The time and money you waste on screwing around with parts and hunting for others and shipping you can rebuild yours.

Do it right my man.:)

:)

Don't be cheap with your brakes.

Caliper PISTON SET 69100-43810 $16.40

Master Cylinder PISTON / CAP SET 69600-04820 $15.39

Rebuild both caliper and M/C, put some good synthetic DOT4 fluid in there and the brakes will be good as new.

I got a good master cylinder for $12 shipped. I'll see how it goes.

Right on alex hope it works out cant beat it for 12bucks shipped

OH Alex, when are you going to learn son? I do hope it works out for ya, but in my experience going cheap always costs more in the end.

I love spare parts, my back brakes are working good for me, you just have to hit the brake pedal fast. :thumbsup:

I love spare parts, my back brakes are working good for me, you just have to hit the brake pedal fast. :thumbsup:

Oops sorry i gave you the idea hahaha

I almost have two complete engines for my DRZ, I'm buying another cylinder head and then I can put it together. When I'm done I will have a spare blown bottom end, worn out jug, 1 good valve cover and one bad valve cover, 1 good cam 1 bad cam, 4 rockers some good some bad, one bad head, and some other junk.:thumbsup: