Sign in to follow this  

xr250 front fork setup

Hi guys im giving my forks a spring clean (sorry) and i need some opinions please.

I read that these (2001) forks have too much high speed damping and too little low speed so i figure i have 3 options;

1) Use thin (2.5w?) fork oil to reduce the damping effect through the whole speed range then use the compression adjusters (clickers) to beef up the slow speed range.

The problem with this is i dont have any rebound adjustment, will the rebount then be under damped? (bearing in mind i now have slightly stronger springs(0.43))

2) Remove some shims from the compression stack, and run 10w as recommended by racetech. Now ive read on here that most guys were removing 3 of the 7 shims from the compression stack, but do they mean the compression stack at the bottom of the catridge? or do these forks have a secondary, high velocity compression stack on the top side of the piston?(i suspect not but best to check)

3) Use the oil weight and level recommended in the manual (with the stronger springs)

What do you think? perhaps you have a better idea?

update on this;

I decided to remove 3 of 7 shims from the compression shimstack.

I did the compression locknut up to 25lb ins as per racetech DVS

I used 10W as per racetech DVS

I filled up to 110mm as per racetech DVS

But the DVS suggests i go with compression clickers fully out and im thinking wouldn't half way (6 clicks) be a better place to start?

Any input appreciated