Sign in to follow this  

Valve adjustment help

I'm in the process of adjusting the valves on my 06 CRF450r and am at the point of removing the camshaft holder assembly and the service manual says to use the tensioner stopper tool to secure the cam chain tensioner lifter shaft. What does this tool do and is it needed? Thanks, Nick

It's a tool you can buy to put into the tensioner to back off tension on the cam chain, that same tool also locks into the tensioner and keeps tension off of the chain while you're working on the bike.

Once you pull the tool out, the tensioner automatically winds back up and puts tension on the cam chain.

I've made that tool myself out of sheet metal, it only takes a few minutes to make it.

Lately I've just been using a small standard screwdriver and needle nose vice grips.

Put the screwdriver into the tensioner, turn it until tension is taken off of the cam chain, then clamp the vice grips onto the screwdriver. You can just rest it on the case right above the front sprocket.

You can also use a small flat head screw driver & a pair of vise grips. Remeber do not drop the bolts into the crank case! haha.

I noticed when my bike became very difficult to start when it was cold....first it was within the first 5 kicks then 10-15 then last weekend it took me around 30 kicks until finnally i pulled over to the toy hauler and used the step so i could kick the S#!t out of it and it finally started. I am comming off of a CR500 and i figured when my 450 became harder to start then that something was wrong....Its not hard to check so i would suggest checking it every couple rides.

I noticed when my bike became very difficult to start when it was cold....first it was within the first 5 kicks then 10-15 then last weekend it took me around 30 kicks until finnally i pulled over to the toy hauler and used the step so i could kick the S#!t out of it and it finally started. I am comming off of a CR500 and i figured when my 450 became harder to start then that something was wrong....Its not hard to check so i would suggest checking it every couple rides.

check them every couple rides, how many hours are you logging on one ride? I check mine every 15 - 20 hours unless it is having issues.

I have over 10,000 miles on it and i'v never checked them... i'm guessing thats a bad thing..

I have over 10,000 miles on it and i'v never checked them... i'm guessing thats a bad thing..

Its only bad if it blows up an ya.. :thumbsup:

I put the kibblewhite's in mine shortly after buying the bike, I've checked em many times, but have yet to re-shim them..

After 200 hours mine was the same as it was one month old, totally spec on. If you just run pump gas and change the oil and filter on a regular basis you are probably alright.