Sign in to follow this  

Hypothetical 650L Frame Swap

Say I had a 1996 650L and a 2006 650L and my 06 had a damaged frame, but the rest of the bike was like new.

My 96 has a good frame but the rest of the bike is in very poor, worn out shape.

Would all, I mean every like new part on my 06 bolt up to the 96 frame?

• Like 1

sure would, from 93 to present the changes are color and graphics! get the frame powdercoated to whatever cool color you want and build a good bike out of the 2 you have

What are you going to do about the VIN?

RH

His 06 would just be idle and he would technically have a 96 xr650L with an 06 motor.

And Yes Everything will swap over. Identical bikes except for color schemes.

As long as there is a clear title on the '96, then there shouldn't be a problem. All the '06 parts will fit the '96.

How damaged is the '06?

His 06 would just be idle and he would technically have a 96 xr650L with an 06 motor.

If he ever wanted to sell it it would be a 96'. If he swapped the VIK he could sell it as an 06'. Since the bike would be down to the frame and he holds the title to both bikes it is completely legal to swap VIN to the 96' frame as long as the 06' frame has the VIN removed from it. It is just a PIA to make the VIN look correct.

Ray

If he ever wanted to sell it it would be a 96'. If he swapped the VIK he could sell it as an 06'. Since the bike would be down to the frame and he holds the title to both bikes it is completely legal to swap VIN to the 96' frame as long as the 06' frame has the VIN removed from it. It is just a PIA to make the VIN look correct.

Ray

I'm not sure swapping vins is ever legal, but it could be.

Anyway, I have 100% confidence that in california you could sell a titled XR650L frame no matter how badly damaged it is.

Maybe not for much, but I guarantee it would make someone's day because they could fix the frame (or vin swap, legally to their frame) and have a street-legal XR600R, all the bits will bolt on directly except the gas tank and maybe the seat.

Don't scrap that frame or de-title it!

Dave