Sign in to follow this  

Yz250 Need new clutch, how do i put one in myself?

Alright, i just bought a 2004yz250. i took it out riding for the second time and went on the road with my friend to his friends house. We were riding for a while , like 20min on the road and he was on his yz125. So i could not hear anything. once we got to the kids house and i started my bike up to leave and it sounded terrible. it sounded like there was no oil. but the weird thing is when i put it in gear it was alright. The first time i rode it for like 15min and it was in the winter but i noticed the clutch was acting funny. when i held the clutch in all the way and gave it some gas the back tire was still spinning. but back the the second time i rode it. i was trying to get back to my house after i heard the bike kinda grinding in neutral. it was doing fine in gear and then i started hearing scrapping and stuff coming from the case. so i shut it off but i was still rolling so it pop started and was fine so i putted a little ways down the road and shut it off. So im hoping all it needs is a new clutch. because the guy i bought it from said he put in new pressure plates and new top end. wat do i need to do and how would i do it to fix that? please help. im 15 so i cant get a job so im really low on money and my dad died so he cant show me wat to do. he was really good at fixing bikes, like his old harley.

and would it be better for me to buy a yz450f or keep my yz250

email me at shane-leslie@hotmail.com

thanks

Dont be afraid to ask questions. Were all willing to help.

Sorry you lost your dad at such a young age.

The clutch is pretty easy to deal with on modern bikes. You will need just basic hand tools, if that. An 8 and 10 mm socket is about it. This is one of those jobs where you finish and think, "Is that all?"

where in pa are you? you said the you just bought the bike? sounds more like you need to adjust the clutch free play or the basket is really grooved. if it needed a clutch you would be in gear reving to the moon while sitting still. also what are you doing riding 20mins on the road i ride like 5 mins to my buddys house that like a mile a way but i putt along trying not to piss the neighbors off

Check out the Rocky Mountain videos on youtube. A lot of their how to videos are done on a YZ250. It's nothing hard, you can do it in 10 minutes. But, take your time to check things out and keep it clean. Oh, and pre soak the frictions in oil.

RT

I have 1994 yz250, when i squeeze the clutch its kinda tough. Do I need to replace my clutch cable or the actual clutch.

Yz250 Need new clutch, how do i put one in myself?

I personally do not recommend putting a clutch into yourself as mounting the lever and running the cable make you look dorky. Plus, you don't even wanna know where you gotta put your push rod...

As for installing it on the bike, I recommend getting a service manual. They are a great source of information on how to do all sorts of stuff you didn't know you were capable of.

Alright, i just bought a 2004yz250. i took it out riding for the second time and went on the road with my friend to his friends house. We were riding for a while , like 20min on the road and he was on his yz125. So i could not hear anything. once we got to the kids house and i started my bike up to leave and it sounded terrible. it sounded like there was no oil. but the weird thing is when i put it in gear it was alright. The first time i rode it for like 15min and it was in the winter but i noticed the clutch was acting funny. when i held the clutch in all the way and gave it some gas the back tire was still spinning. but back the the second time i rode it. i was trying to get back to my house after i heard the bike kinda grinding in neutral. it was doing fine in gear and then i started hearing scrapping and stuff coming from the case. so i shut it off but i was still rolling so it pop started and was fine so i putted a little ways down the road and shut it off. So im hoping all it needs is a new clutch. because the guy i bought it from said he put in new pressure plates and new top end. wat do i need to do and how would i do it to fix that? please help. im 15 so i cant get a job so im really low on money and my dad died so he cant show me wat to do. he was really good at fixing bikes, like his old harley.

and would it be better for me to buy a yz450f or keep my yz250

email me at shane-leslie@hotmail.com

thanks

Clutches are easy to do. Its a one hour job. Get a torque wrench. You will need it to make sure you don't overtighten the springs.

Find an electonic version of the service manual and download it. PM me and I will send you the pdf for my 01 yz. Changing the clutch is pretty much the same.

Also, no need to get the yz450. The 250 2 stroke is just as fast.