Sign in to follow this  

230 Camshaft in a 150F???

I have a 2003 CRF150F and a 2005 CRF230F. Upon doing research I found out the valves are the same! I was wondering if you could put a 230 Camshaft in a 150f???? Has anyone done this? I just put a cam in the 230 and wondered if i could hot rod my 150 for free???

You are talking about the stock 230 cam? What makes you think it provides any more performance than the 150 cam?

Brennen07,

You could install your 230 cam into your 150 but you would likely not be able to tell much if any difference in performance unless you are sensitive to minor changes. If you plan to go through all of the work necessary to swap cams, you would be far better off investing in a real performance cam instead of installing another stocker in your 150. ANY aftermarket cam for these bikes will offer noticeably more performance than a stock 230 cam.

Well I know that it wouldn't give me as much more performance but it's free and it'd be a little better than stock so why not? that's my reasoning. And I can send in the 150 Core instead of my 230's. So why not?

Brennan07,

I hope you understand what I'm trying to inform you of. Installing a cam correctly involves replacing the rocker arms. To do this, the head must be removed, and the engine from the frame etc.

Why go through with all of the labor just to reassemble and likely not be able to tell any difference?? Thats like removing a bald tire and replacing with another bald tire. What did you gain?

Personally, I wouldn't do it. The stock cams are nearly identical, and as a core it won't make any difference.

Brennan07,

I hope you understand what I'm trying to inform you of. Installing a cam correctly involves replacing the rocker arms. To do this, the head must be removed, and the engine from the frame etc.

Why go through with all of the labor just to reassemble and likely not be able to tell any difference?? Thats like removing a bald tire and replacing with another bald tire. What did you gain?

Personally, I wouldn't do it. The stock cams are nearly identical, and as a core it won't make any difference.

Coeshow, I have installed new pistons on two pre e-start CRF150F bikes and didn't have to remove the engine. All you have to do is remove the right rear cylinder stud, hold your tongue just right :thumbsup: and the head and cylinder come right off.