Sign in to follow this  

FT Irwin

:) I will be moving to FT Irwin in Sept and i am just wondering on what the riding is like?

:banghead: I will be moving to FT Irwin in Sept and i am just wondering on what the riding is like?

:):banghead:

It's like desert! Wide, open, rocks, sand, dust, huge hillclimbs, no trees, rocks, lung choking dust, sand, desert mountains, silty dust, rocks and some more sand. Oh, and stay away from the desert tortises.

Looks a lot like this:

CoreyJumpingontheTuneup.jpg

All these pics will be easily rideable from FtIrwin. Especially if you have a dual sported bike

32SnowyBigCatRocks.jpg

16ShouldWeDoIt.jpg

30LTGlennInHills.jpg

WATCH OUT for the Mojave Green's. Extremely venemous.

21MojaveGreenRattler.jpg

I lied about the trees. There are some trees. Joshua Trees. There's a forest at the top of this pic:

18LTCPRainbowBasin.jpg

I hope you like rocks. heh

05OvertheEdge.jpg

Inscription Canyon is just a jaunt west from FI.

08Petroglyphs5.jpg

Lots of SECRET ST. Easiest found if you ride with someone from the area.

23BrokenHandOnTheBitch1.jpg

Plenty of high speed open stuff if you like to go fast....

19CP-9.jpg

You can even ride up to the high country if you've got the range and a plate:

27UpTR49.jpg

10PurpleTrail.jpg

We even have a little water, but probably not in Sept......

15CPBlastingStream.jpg

So as you can see, just a TINY bit different than TN. :foul::p Get ready for high speed 100+ mile long rides. Since you're new to the area, I'd highly suggest a GPS.

Last time I was out there I saw a mx track. It was the first left turn just after entering the gate.

This was about 2 years ago.

Great pics :)

You should ask around on base who the other riders are. A soldier from Irwin helped me with a flat up at Dove Springs a couple weeks ago and he told me that he normally rides alone but would prefer to have people to go with. His name is Matt, but I lost his phone #/ email or I would pass it on.

Tim

I have ridden with multiple Ft. Irwin guys from the board. You are one lucky SOB:thumbsup: , you are moving into a offroad meca, right at the start of the riding season.

I work out at Fort Irwin on the Airfield, are you active duty? The motorcross track is still there, there was a post email flotting around last month looking for people to take care of it and fix it up. you do have to take all the ARMY motorcycle safty classes and stuff to use it. I met a few guys that work out there and ride but lost there #s. hit me up when your get out here ill show you some awesome places to ride.

I am at FT Campbell now and i have done all the on post riding classes. I do know about the summer temps there, i have done 2 training rotations there and it is off the meter hot. I am stoked to get this assignment.

Last time I was out there I saw a mx track. It was the first left turn just after entering the gate.

This was about 2 years ago.

and you know who was responsible and helped build that MX track??? yeppers ME and some others built the first MX track there, was out there in ARMY and civilian after that for 7 years. Not sure how it is now as im in Barstow working at the USMC base. Had to add, funny thing is we snuck a dozer out there to help get started, one of the guys was in engineering battalion so he took out there on a trailer and we used that to start it, D7 i think? kinda against rules but no big deal, it was for the soldiers stationed there so its all good!

Hard to ride on base but once you get out of there local area around it has alot of good riding. Shoot me a PM when you are getting here and ill give you contact info and such

jbodie,

good someone else that rids going to Fort Irwin. I should be getting stationed there this May or June. All kinds of places to ride as i have been stationed there before. Send me a PM and i will send you my email address.

Can't wait to get back there and ride.