Sign in to follow this  

A Letter From Todd Clement Concerning Safety in Baja Mexico

I think the point here is that more people (like us)need to speak up about Baja's positives, not the negatives. 99% of Baja's people are awesome humans with the same amount of compassion as most humans on the globe. ............

Regardless of WOB Baja's marketing plan. Clement stepped up into the public eye and is attemptng to bring people back down to Baja. Thats good! ..............

I agree Lance... speak the positive (I can almost hear myself chanting it! "SPEAK THE POSITIVE". A good motto for Baja right now). I just don't think keeping the negative from being exposed is a good idea either. People need to decide for themselves... and if it's ALL positive, and seemingly one-sided... that decision process can't happen.

Clement's comments, are almost to say "too positive" and that it gives the feeling (to me anyway) of nothing bad will happen if I travel and pay WOB for a tour. ...obviously I know better than to think that, but... others may not.

And yes, Kent's statement has some great points to the topic. :)

...And Scotty... jeeze dude, get a grip. I've grown weary of your never ending monolistic diatribe portraying Baja as a haplessly safe harbor, where pixy bunnies dance around lollypop trees...

I must say we saw a lot of bunnies on the trails down there a couple weeks ago and they were quite cute. :banghead: Call us lucky but if there was any violence on our trip it would have IMO most likely been one of us hitting one of those furry little desert creatures. :)

From a reliable source??? How's about from an incredibly biased source? How about from a source that has everything to gain and nothing to loose by posting a letter like this?

Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for open conversation and a sharing of ideas, but this letter stinks of marketing hype. Isn't this supposed to be an un-biased forum? At the very least I should hope that Senior Bosche is getting paid for this blatant advertisement...

And Scotty... jeeze dude, get a grip. I've grown weary of your never ending monolistic diatribe portraying Baja as a haplessly safe harbor, where pixy bunnies dance around lollypop trees. Baja has and always will be a land of violence, where criminals rise above - now, more than ever. And this drug induced violence bleeds down to the good hearted folks that we all care for. If you think the violence begins and ends at the barrel of a gun held in the hands of a cartel funded street thug, think again. Remember that the 90% drop in tourism preceded the economic down turn by a good 6 months. Good, honest business folks are being force into a world of petty crimes and back alley violence just to pay their rent and put some meager crumbs on the table. And this ebb of violence spider-webs its way across Baja - far beyond the border town cities. The cause and effect can be seen in even the smallest of communities where the once plentiful tourism has abandoned the small cafe's, cantinas and hotels, leaving behind ghost towns that once again redefine the poverty level.

Flame on...

Ken, that registered about a 9 on the ol' tension meter. :usa::lol::thumbsup:

I'm still looking for a sign of trouble in Mexico. In Google earth looks realy safe.

Now thats funny....

Ever hear the story of someone who tried to plan a (Baja) route based on GoogleEarth and found it a real problem during the ride?!?! ... it's good one (names withheld to save the embarassment)

One of my biggest concerns in Baja is getting run over by a Wide Open Baja convoy. Kinda ironic.

We were pre running in San Vicente last year for the Record race. We had just left the pit area and got to the bottom of a blind hill at a road crossing and sure enough a guided buggy tour group came over the top of the blind hill going the wrong way on well marked portion of the course. I am not saying it was Wide Open Baja I was to pissed to even ask or try and figure out what tour company they were with. The cars kept coming and I just kept asking the lead car how many more, he did not give me an answer and I know he could hear me I was practically leaning inside the front of the car and all engines were off. He just looked shocked and embarrassed about what had just happened. Once all the cars were there they fired up there buggies and took off down an access road. Thank god for the rode crossing it slowed us down, had it not have been for that I would have most likely met the lead car at the top of the hill. Anyways I was just down in Baja a couple of weeks ago and felt incredibly safe the entire time.

I do think that Powercell is missing the point. We know what dangers are out in Baja. We all have read about the issues that other riders, such as your friends have had to deal with. I respect those that don't ride in Baja for their own reasons, but please... There's no need to bash others, like Scotty for putting a positive vibe out for Baja.

I still ride down there. Let those of us that still ride down there, and those that want to still ride down there, talk about the beauty of the place. Let us talk about the good times had. Let us talk about the good times still to be had, despite of all the negative information going on. :thumbsup:

Now thats funny....

Ever hear the story of someone who tried to plan a (Baja) route based on GoogleEarth and found it a real problem during the ride?!?! ... it's good one (names withheld to save the embarassment)

This is funny. I have found trails that I would have not otherwise found that I some how passed before. Although I haven't tried to pan a trip with it...

Ever hear the story of someone who tried to plan a (Baja) route based on GoogleEarth and found it a real problem during the ride?!?!

Haven't heard that one yet. Are they the same folks who may have been inadvertantly led astray by free Baja GPS tracks available on GPS tracksharing sites you've posted?!?!?!

From a reliable source???

How sure are you that I wasn’t referencing Alonzo Pena from last Thurs?

How's about from an incredibly biased source? How about from a source that has everything to gain and nothing to loose by posting a letter like this?

Did it occur to you that LK posted this and that he leads the only non-profit cause of preserving Baja’s off road legacy?

And Scotty... jeeze dude, get a grip. I've grown weary of your never ending monolistic diatribe portraying Baja as a haplessly safe harbor

And I too am tiresome (exhausted) of/(by) your multiple posts citing Ciudad Juarez in the Baja form.

Baja has and always will be a land of violence

Here, you have my absolute non-accordance.

The cause and effect can be seen in even the smallest of communities where the once plentiful tourism has abandoned the small cafe's, cantinas and hotels, leaving behind ghost towns that once again redefine the poverty level.

Finally, I’ll remind everyone that the quaint villages we adore have never yet been overrun by tourism, simon?

GOD bless PC and all of the other contributing members of this forum

Now thats funny....

I did this to an extent. Jat, you calling me to the carpet?:thumbsup: I will say, that I have found boatloads of singletrack on Google. But it's not for everyone. You pretty much have to know roughly where it is or where it's likely to be before you go looking for it. Gotta have a keen eye too. You can also eff yourself up plenty bad if you are wrong and are planning a trip around it. :usa:

Big thanks to TC and all of your posts on this issue. I had fear due to the vibes from the media and people around me.

This and along with the economy and family issues, caused most of my riding buddies stop riding. All this combined had put a damper on my tours this baja moto season (fall-winter-spring) - 08/09. It's been a challenging year!

However, I think about riding almost every day and the visions of my experiences over the last 10yrs of bajamoto. Many trips to Mikes, coast to coast, baja 2000 post-run Solo, amazing people. But If I do not go, my bike sits in the Garage, Your body and equipment have a shelf life. Do not give up! Be safe, common sense, look ahead, and lets go.:usa:

Last February I rode a 3day tour from San Ignacio to San Juanico (trucked down with my xr400) and had a great time. Locals were chilled.

I enjoy the adventure and the fun, hare-hound challenging routes that build skill and character. It's one of the few frontiers we have left where we can ride so freely, can explore diverse terrain and ecosystems, and has necessary resources within range.

This Sat/Sun I will be riding to Mikes via SV and laguna hanson, drop-out goat, now that could be a G-out too.. Ha! Very hungry for ride to clear my head and loosen up.

See you on the RR ride Apr-4,

Cheers,

j :thumbsup:

Haven't heard that one yet. Are they the same folks who may have been inadvertantly led astray by free Baja GPS tracks available on GPS tracksharing sites you've posted?!?!?!

I'm sure you'd love that (people being led astray by me). But the tracks on GPSExchange are valid, easy, and ON ROAD tracks. Nothing outlandish. And no reason to be led anywhere but to destination. What's your point?? And please, can you point me in the direction of the "people inadvertantly led astray by my 'free' Baja GPS tracks" ??? I'd love to hear it, see it, or say sorry for such a thing... if there is such a thing. But I'm calling BS on this one.

... you belong to the site where the story was posted. I'm sure you are able to 'search' and figure it out on your own. Not my deal to post a link.

I did this to an extent. Jat, you calling me to the carpet?:thumbsup:

... haha... never brother... never. The story I read, was from a well-known blogger who runs his own site.

What's your point?? And please, can you point me in the direction of the "people inadvertantly led astray by my 'free' Baja GPS tracks"

JAT- Do not misquote. Here you have done just that.

JAT- Do not misquote. Here you have done just that.

I wasn't quoting "YOU" (if I did, it'd be in a box - copied and quoted).

...How about (adding to the topic) by keeping this thread on par... :thumbsup: Instead of sending out accusations of something thats never happened. "May have been'...??? Lame.

... save it, or make your point. This is 9th grade.