Sign in to follow this  

Piston Slap?

I have a 2003 klx 400 sr with 11000 miles on it, and i think its starting to develope piston slap, I usually ride with ear plugs in so i never hear much motor noise, but the other day I rode with out them and noticed when ever i got on the gas hard the motor sounded really loose and pingy. I dont remember it making that sound last summer or this winter, Im going to check and perform the primary nut fix this weekend too.Could it be the timing chain? or primary nut piston slap? or am i just hearing things?

Thanks

no not yet, I suppose I need to get one

do you have MCCT

:) Great place to start....you can probably tell by the adjustment on the MCCT how stretched your chain is. Have you done a valve adjust lately?

I bet your timing chain it stretched out do to the miles and runing e ACCT

I have been running a MCCT for over 10,000 miles and needed to teeck the MCCT becouse of stretched/worn chain

so during that time your ACCT had been pushing the chain titer

i just orderd the MCCT, and will install it when i get it, I checked the valves a few thousand miles ago and they were still within spec.

I usually ride with ear plugs in so i never hear much motor noise, but the other day I rode with out them and noticed primary nut piston slap?

Put ear plugs back in ear, relax and go ride

:)