Sign in to follow this  

Klx 140 vs Crf 150

I am bouncing back and forth between the two bikes and would like some honest opions. I tend to lean towards the Kawi and my wife seems to like the Honda. She really only wants the bike for a bit of trail riding, so big power is not really the issue. Reliabilty and ease of riding are bigger concerns. She really only wants a bike that she can have both feet touch the ground at the same time and have a little fun while she's doing it. She has a 180 Yami 2 stroke and can handle the bike just wants something a little easier to ride. If anyone has had any experience with both of the bikes I would love to hear them, good and bad.

KLX, no question in my mind, assume you are talking CRF150F. CRF150R is a different beast altogether.

My son has the KLX140L, one of the first ones sold here in NZ, end of 2007. One of his friends has the CRF150F so we have done direct comparison. The CRF is a fine bike, but heavier, with poorer brakes and suspension The KLX is far more modern and overall a better ride. Weight is a big difference.

For fun we have swapped on a Procircuit pipe and KLX85 forks. They are not necessary upgrades but have been worthwhile. The OEM front forks are probably the weakest part of the standard bike, just cost saving by Kawa I guess.

We have both the KLX140L and a CRF150F. Both are great bikes and very reliable. No question as to the quality, they are both great.

If your wife is smaller like 5'4" or less she and is a mellow rider she would likely be happier on the Kawi. If she is a bit bigger and more agressive she may like the Honda better as a trail bike.

Both our bikes are now highly modified, the CRF has a 225 big bore kit, Mikuni carb, EO pipe and CRF150R forks with a Works shock, it hangs with 250F's all day long. The KLX now has a 160 big bore kit, Cam, Mikuni carb and KX100 forks and is a different bike than it was stock.

The Kawi is just a bit smaller in the cockpit than the Honda but the Engines Only 225 motor pulls more like a big bike.

I know that the Kawi 140 has not been out as long as the Honda 150f, have you ran into any mechanical issues with either of the bikes that might put you off either one. Up here the Kawi is about $500 less.

Having spent time on both Bikes I would definitely give the KLX140L my vote.

Much smoother engine, lighter (and much lighter feeling), far better brakes and a lighter clutch pull. In fact, I just purchased another KLX140L yesterday.

No mechanical issues on our KLX140 purchased last year.

Both are really fun Bikes though. Good luck...

Erik

We have been running the CRF150F with a EO 225 big bore since early 06 and have not had one problem. My daughter races hare scrambles and enduros on it so it gets a workout.

We have had the 140 with the EO big bore kit for just over a year now and beat it to death. My neice and nephew take it out all the time and abuse their uncles little spare bike, it's tough and is really easy for the rookies to ride.

We went ridding this afternoon and I ran out of gas on the KLX, a guy brought me some fuel and we started talking. He took out our KLX for about half an hour and I think he was headed to the Kawi dealer to buy one.

have had both def give the nod to the klx, although the crf150 was more powerful, not enough to sway me, the honda is heavy as well as wide, the right foot peg sticks out notiably further than the left and sometimes uite easy to drag in a turn, like both but we kept the kawi, well mayed play and trail bike, I have done alot of post on mods to both mainly chassis, have not opened the motor yet, but there is a huge difference in the stock suspension and the modded version,

Thanks for all the replies, TT is such a great place to get straight talk about bikes without all the biased bs you get from magazines and other places. The snow is finally starting to melt up here and a trip to the bike shop will be on my agenda this weekend.

Shop around for pricing on the Bike. Huge discounts at some dealers. Enough in saving to get you started on mods.

The KLX140L with box stock KX85 or 100 forks would work great for your wife if she is small. They get a little soft if you are over 125 pounds and start riding agressively.

Went shopping today and found the Honda is throwing in a 2 1/2 year warranty on their '08. That kind of backing is hard to beat and a $250 rebate. Kawi has zero warranty on their bike.

Here's a woman's 2 cents. I have the KLX140L & love it. :usa::thumbsup:

I am 5'2", 115lbs & the bike fits me perfectly. Good luck!

I just bought my wife a KLX 140. She's only 5'1, and this was the only bike she could touch both feet flat on the ground with. We tryed a 150 with a lowering link, but she could still only get the tips of her toes to the ground. I think the 140L wouild have been a better bike, I think it has a 13 tooth front sprocket, and 51 tooth rear, vs. the 14 tooth front and 50 tooth rear on the 140. Seems her 140 has no low end power, but I'm getting a 13 in the front to see if that helps. If not we'll try going bigger in the rear. I do think it's a better bike that the 150 though.

dwilliams1,

Congrats on the new Bike! Please keep us informed. Have fun...

Erik