Sign in to follow this  

Urgent!! Oil not draining properly

I changed the oil last night on my 08 wr250 and went back to start it today and it won't start. It has happened before where I go to the bike shop with problems and they tell me I have almost twice the amount of oil in the bike. I tried to drain the oil again now and it only came out in a small stream and the bike still won't start. What can I do now, I don't have time to take it to a bike shop and have a race on Saturday (and no more time but tonight to work out things). Please help?!?

Are you following the manual step by step when changing the oil? That is the best advice I could give you. I have never had any problems when doing that. If you are unsure about the amounts, measure how much you are draining out.

Are you draining both the case and oil tank ? It almost sounds like you're just draining the case..

You need to remove the skid plate if you have one. At the bottom of the oil tank there is a 12mm? bolt that needs to be removed as well as the one of the side of the engine.

Thanks for the help, I'm pretty sure that I drained out all the oil and put the right amount back in. Still will not start and clutch will not engage when in gear. I seems as though I am not racing this weekend (so much for my first one)

Seriously, go read the manual. Oil changes are not rocket science on these. Drain the case, drain the tank, change the filter, refill.

If you don't have the manual, search here and you will find a link to them on-line.

use the eye glass when filling it up.

Check your plug might be foiled.

clutch doesnt engage? like its slipping or disenage.

if your bike has been sitting the oil seeps out of the plates and won't disenage but just ride the bike and hold the clutch in. to start ur going to have to tap in to first and kind of run with the bike to help it from staling. it shuold break free quickly.

You own a high performance bike, if you don't know how to change its oil & filter, that's big trouble...

Click here and read this link, this is for my 06 YZ250F but it should be the same for your 08 WR. However, when you refill the oil, make sure you put in the amount specified by YOUR manual since the amount in that link is for my 06 YZ250F. Don't go by the sight glass, put in what the manual tells you and you'll be good to go. The sight glass will always have some oil in it, don't go by that IMO...

AV:

I got it figured out last night. I did not appreciate the sarcastic overtones of your message. I've only gotten positive feedback from here and am still learning much about riding and my bike in general. In other words, give me a break I'm new as many other people were and mistakes will happen. I'm just looking to learn not be lectured about those mistakes.

AV:

I got it figured out last night. I did not appreciate the sarcastic overtones of your message. I've only gotten positive feedback from here and am still learning much about riding and my bike in general. In other words, give me a break I'm new as many other people were and mistakes will happen. I'm just looking to learn not be lectured about those mistakes.

I was making a statement and was trying to be helpful. You shouldn't get so bent out of shape over my first statement - there was nothing mean about it. I won't bother with helping you next time.

We have all been in the situation where we did not know how to do something, don't let it bum you out. Get the manual on line if you don't have it and follow it. It's real easy and well written out. Half the fun is learning how to fix these things. Good luck

AV:

What did you find was the problem? Please share with us. It helps knowing what the problem is/was so we and you can share it with others if they have the same symptoms. Thanks. :thumbsup:

What did you find was the problem? Please share with us. It helps knowing what the problem is/was so we and you can share it with others if they have the same symptoms. Thanks. :thumbsup:

It was something that Ultrabuzz suggested, I was not draining the oil tank. Once i figured this out, I drained all the oil again, filled it back up and tried to start it. Still didn't start, so figured the plug was fouled, which I was right. I took it to the bike shop so they could properly flush it out and get me up and running again. The only thing I can say is I know now what I was doing wrong and what not to do next time.

I was making a statement and was trying to be helpful. You shouldn't get so bent out of shape over my first statement - there was nothing mean about it. I won't bother with helping you next time.

I over-reacted badly to your statement. I was frusterated with the whole situation (not to mention feeling really stupid by that time). I'm sorry, you didn't deserve that.

Sounds like your not draining the oil tank, at the bottom of the front frame tube in the front of the engine there is 12mm bolt. This drains the oil tank in the frame. Like has been said before read the manual and do step by step. Can't go wrong.

all u need to refill your bike is 40 ounces of oil. which is 1 quart + 8 ounces. u can buy 5 quarts of oil and get 4 oil changes out of it.