Sign in to follow this  

Brake and Light Inspection ? So Cal ?

I am currently in the process of getting my xr 50 street legal, installed a Baja Designs Kit, every thing went really well at DMV here in Thousand Oaks, the ladies were super helpful. Walked out with a check list of 2 things to do # 1 insurance, no problemo, called the guy and it is handeled. Item # 2 was brake and light inspection. Went over to Thousand Oaks Honda for a sign off, BUT NO. They dont do it anymore. Was told to try the car mechanic down the street. Was told NO cause the rear cool looking Baja Designs led tail light isnt DOT approved. Called Baja Designs and was told they dont have one that is. Told to try another inspection place. Anyone have any Pro Motorcycle inspection places? Or who can recommend a DOT approved Tail Light that isnt too obnoxious ? Any help is appreciated. Please feel free to pm or email me at jmsgen@yahoo.com. Thanks in advance.

I hate to say this but it is no longer possible to convert an off highway bike to on road. :)

so basically even if you get your lights checked, you still can not do it in CA

I hate to say this but it is no longer possible to convert an off highway bike to on road. :thumbsup:

so basically even if you get your lights checked, you still can not do it in CA

Not true. 49 cc bikes are not subject of any emissions laws under CA law.

2006+ bikes with less than 50cc are subject to the federal standard.

The CA DMV allows any service dept to do the inspection even though they are not a "brake and light licensed" facility. It stipulates that if there isn't one that is within a reasonable distance, any service garage can sign the "statement of facts" form. You don't need to get the actual "brake and light" cert.

I will try and find the text so you can print it out and take it with you back to the motorcycle dealer and show them.

Ok, here you go...

Here is the DMV link. Print this out and take it to a "California repair shop" so they understand they can do it.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr13.htm

Page 23 has the "Statement of Facts" filled out for the Brake and Light Inspection the California Repair Shop needs to complete.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/2005%20Web%20Site/PDF%20Files/CA_DMV_Registration_Packet.pdf

Thanks for all the helpful hints, very much appreciated, this is a very helpful board. I went the way of Statement of Facts from a Motorcycle Shop. All went well at DMV. See you at the Rock Store ! ! !

DSC02086.jpg

ok im glad you were able to do this and all but why are you plating a mini bike???

Thanks for all the helpful hints, very much appreciated, this is a very helpful board. I went the way of Statement of Facts from a Motorcycle Shop. All went well at DMV. See you at the Rock Store ! ! !

DSC02086.jpg

:thumbsup::usa::lol: Now thats cool :lol::D:busted: