Sign in to follow this  

WPS XR style tail light install - PICTURES

Another box was waiting for me today. My new tail light.

Below is a walk-through for the installation. It wasn't bad but it wasn't as easy as some would think either. Hope it helps some of the members.

Note - you will need a new license plate bracket or maybe you could screw the plate directly to the fender. I used a new bracket.

The light ...

20090319-003.gif

Removing the OEM assembly.

The hard part here is getting the rubber boot off the fender. It has these plugs that are pushed into holes in the fender. Don't pull the thing off - you'll break it. Rather, from under the fender, push the rubber plugs back up through the holes with a screwdriver. You will need to remove the tool bag too.

20090319-004.gif

Below is the new light going on.

20090319-009.gif

You will need a basic electronics kit here - soldering gun, solder, flux, cutter, stripper, shrink tubing. Cut the wires in the approximate locations shown and prep the wires for splicing. I also made a diagram so you won't have to figure out how to connect the wires.

WPSLIGHT.jpg

20090319-012.gif

A couple photos of the splice...

20090319-014.gif

20090319-015.gif

20090319-016.gif

The finished product.

20090319-017.gif

20090319-019.gif

It works nice too. There is a big difference between the running like and the brake light. The brake light is BRIGHT! Looks a lot cleaner now.

• Like 2

yes that light is plenty bright AND HUGE DIFFERENCE in how much better it looks over stock!!

BRO your awesome for all your pics and vids!!! it will help alot of members TY!

Thanks Denn! I took it out for a quick spin to really check out the bike after doing Dave's mods and all the other work. I was doing a mud crossing and I would have made it but someone had put logs in the mud (probably quads).

Anyway, I almost got hopelessly stuck but with the new lighter tail light, I was able to climb out of it. :thumbsup:

Here's the latest pic. It doesn't look much like an '08 anymore - that's a good thing.

20090320-002.gif

Thanks Denn! I took it out for a quick spin to really check out the bike after doing Dave's mods and all the other work. I was doing a mud crossing and I would have made it but someone had put logs in the mud (probably quads).

Anyway, I almost got hopelessly stuck but with the new lighter tail light, I was able to climb out of it. :thumbsup:

Here's the latest pic. It doesn't look much like an '08 anymore - that's a good thing.

20090320-002.gif

OK now time for some smaller profile blinkers over the stock box ones!!! about a $35 upgrade for all 4, i did mine and took the brackets off and mounted right to frame in rear and its clean look. added rubber dingys on each side of frame and there a good shock resistant mount

there $20 at procycle.com

Is Procycle.com still in business? That website is now mountain bike related.

AKAROB, well done, it looks great! can you tell me where you purchased the WPS tail light as well as that license plate bracket? and part numbers if you have them? I'm in canada and finding this stuff local isnt easy!

Thanks so much!

Here is the link directly to the page. The light is about half way down. (you can thank Denn10)

http://www.procycle.us/dskits/dskit.htm

As for the license plate bracket, you are on your own for that one. Mine came on the '86 XR600 when I bought it. I have no intention of putting a plate on it so I spawwed it over.

I see some people screw the plate directly to the fender. It may not be the slickest solution, but it does work. Let us know if you find some sort of bracket.

:thumbsup: Thanks!

I just ordered the tail light, as well as LED signals... now to locate that plate bracket!

I just got done doing this same mod yesterday. The procycle light showed up FAST- from Oregon to Arkansas in only 2 days.

I used the same approach as for as soldering goes, except I removed all but about 1' of the wiring that came on the WPS tail light, and the stock tail light harness was long enough to actually reach inside of the new tail light. The hole that the wiring came through on the bottom side of the tail light had to be enlarged a little bit, and then the outer protective tubing on the bikes' wire harness slid through the hole in a nice, tight fit- and then made my solder and shrink tube connections inside the tail light itself.

Made a nice clean look, and it keeps those soldered joints protected inside the tail light.

I had a clipboard laying around, one of those ones that is designed to hang on the steering wheel of a big rig?? It happened to be 1/8" thick, and made of black ABS plastic. I made a stencil of my license plate, and cut and drilled accordingly with a Dremel. Then, i mounted it using the stock bolts through the stock holes in the fender (no more holes or butchery added in case a new owner wants to change it back in the future... ) and used a could of the flange nuts left over from the emissions octopus I tool off.

The look came out clean, and actually looks like original equipment.

I just used an old clip board that i was no longer using, it was the perfect material for this job. 1/8" plastic, black. Just used my plate to stencilit out, then a Dremel to cut and drill.

img177.jpg

Then used the stock bolts that hold the factory tail light on, combined with the rubber donuts, and the factory holes, too. Used two flange nuts left over from the emissions clusterf*** to give the bolts something to tighten down on.

img179.jpg

Finished product. Isolated from vibration and rattling, and no new holes added to anything. It even looks stock, really.

asses-1.jpg

Sorry for the shite pictures, but my actual "camera" is in hiatus at the moment.

Awesome write up fellas, I'm fixing to do the same mod on my pig, and I really appreciate the pics and diagrams. They'll help when the time comes to do the swap. As far as the license plate frame, has anyone tried one of these?? The holes look like they may be a bit wider than the holes in the fender according to road_toad's template.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/P-602070/License+Plate+Mount+Assy.+W%2f+Hardware

Looks great Rob, I did the same thing on my pig. It must have dropped 20 pounds taking the tv set off the back.

IMG_1641.jpg

I also got the smaller signals from procycle.

IMG_1642.jpg

20090320-002.gif

20090320-002.gif

...so how's the Scorpion XCMH's work'n for ya and how long have u had them???

:usa:

I've had em for just that one ride. I did things on those tires that amazed me. Seriously, they're like perfect. This picture doesn't do the tire justice. I wish I had some video of what I went through. Cant wait to hear your ride report.

Rob

How did the scorpion(s) handle on road? do you have front and rear? , I need a tire that I feel comfortable on highway with.

I went on procycle they had another light just above the wps the one that lights your plate dont you need that to be legal. it almost looks to big

I went on procycle they had another light just above the wps the one that lights your plate dont you need that to be legal. it almost looks to big

The WPS one does have a small stip of clear plastic, it's hard to see in the photo. I don't know how well it will light the plate but it's probably good enough to keep the police from writing you up. Technically there is a light.