Sign in to follow this  

2007 525exc - starts but does not keep running?????

Dear Forum,

Has anyone had the issue of a "starting but stalling bike at startup?" My bike sat all winter hooked up to a battery tender so the battery is fine. Starts up strong but does not stay running. Here is a video that I posted on youtube of what happens.....the problem in action......

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance to any who respond!

By the way, feel free to respond off of the forum if you would like to: sambking@comcast.net

Sam

Dear Forum,

Has anyone had the issue of a "starting but stalling bike at startup?" My bike sat all winter hooked up to a battery tender so the battery is fine. Starts up strong but does not stay running. Here is a video that I posted on youtube of what happens.....the problem in action......

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance to any who respond!

By the way, feel free to respond off of the forum if you would like to: sambking@comcast.net

Sam

Is it jetted (I recommend the JD jet kit)? Did you do the AP O-ring mod? Is your slow jet port in the airbox lined up with the carb slow jet?

What mods have you done? Is the smog still hooked up? Are the valves adjusted?

Answer those questions and we can help more.

You have two unrelated issues;

1: Oil leak, your going to need to remove the gas tank to see it;

it may relate to a bolt loose or gasket damaged on one of the valve covers

it may be a broken fitting on the oil line?

it may be a bolt broken that is just above & forward of the spark plug, this was common in 2004 models and has been pretty reliable since 05. I use ta better grade bolt there to fix it.

On the starting, I suspect your pilot jet has gotten gummed up from lack of use during the winter, with the pilot plugged it is running only on gas from the Accelerator pump that you squirted in with all that twisting

Other issues that one of the others above was eluding to, has this one had the canisterectomy?? Very important when that is done that the gas tank be vented both in and out!!! And the hose that goes to the right side of the cylinder head plugged, and the pilot jet changed from a 48 to a 42. Jetting also needs to be changed, JDjetting.com kit covers those issues, Either way while the tank is off, rotate the carb top to the right, remove the 17mm plug on the bottom of the carb, just forward of center up a hole, you need a screw driver no more than .200" wide (1/4" (.250") will break your carb!!) unscrew the pilot, if its a #42 and soak it in lacquer thinner, acetone or fingernail polish remover overnight, then hold it to the light and you must be able to see a clear crisp round hole. blurry will not do, nor will a $48!

You have two unrelated issues;

1: Oil leak, your going to need to remove the gas tank to see it;

it may relate to a bolt loose or gasket damaged on one of the valve covers

it may be a broken fitting on the oil line?

it may be a bolt broken that is just above & forward of the spark plug, this was common in 2004 models and has been pretty reliable since 05. I use ta better grade bolt there to fix it.

On the starting, I suspect your pilot jet has gotten gummed up from lack of use during the winter, with the pilot plugged it is running only on gas from the Accelerator pump that you squirted in with all that twisting

Other issues that one of the others above was eluding to, has this one had the canisterectomy?? Very important when that is done that the gas tank be vented both in and out!!! And the hose that goes to the right side of the cylinder head plugged, and the pilot jet changed from a 48 to a 42. Jetting also needs to be changed, JDjetting.com kit covers those issues, Either way while the tank is off, rotate the carb top to the right, remove the 17mm plug on the bottom of the carb, just forward of center up a hole, you need a screw driver no more than .200" wide (1/4" (.250") will break your carb!!) unscrew the pilot, if its a #42 and soak it in lacquer thinner, acetone or fingernail polish remover overnight, then hold it to the light and you must be able to see a clear crisp round hole. blurry will not do, nor will a $48!

:)

Yes he has more than one problem.

Clean or replace the pilot jet.

Pull tank and find out where the oil leak is coming from.

That should get you running and then you can take care of the other issues as money and time allows.

Clean out the pilot jet in the carb. That will take care of the bike not idling.

The oil leak you are referring to looks more like black spooge coming out of the exhaust header leak from sitting for the winter. The header might have unsealed itself while contracting and expanding. Now that raw gas is being pour down the intake and out the exhaust pipe it is bringing with it some soot from inside the pipe.

If it is oil, then you might have a bigger problem like others have stated.

Dear Forum,

Sam