Sign in to follow this  

Smoke on cold start up

Hi, a new CRF owner here. Bought an 09 and put about 21 miles on it breaking it in as per the manual. I then installed a JD jet kit, cut the air box, oversize tank and a few other mods. I noticed some smoke out the tailpipe when I goose the throttle after I take the choke off (cold start only-never does it on warm restarts). It will do it a couple of times then it is clear after that. I am not using the choke on warm restarts. The smoke is when the RPM is rising, not falling. I only leave the choke on for between 5 and 20 seconds and the smoke is blue, not black. Coming from an XR400 I am used to oil smoke on start up, but the CRF only has 21 miles on it. Is this normal for this 'hi perf' motor?

Since its still relatively new, the rings are likely still seating as are the valves. Ride it for about 3 hours, then get the valves checked and change the oil.

BG

Personally, I don't touch the throttle until the tops of the radiators are hot. I just let it idle. I want nice hot oil and metal everywhere before I 'goose' the throttle.

I think the puff is normal.

I don't raise the RPM that much, just enogh to keep it idling. I only leave the choke on for about 15 seconds then turn it off. The bike still has trouble idling on its own so I manually raise the RPM (to about 2800) to keep it going until it can idle on its own. It is when I raise the RPM that I notice the smoke. When it can idle on its own there is no smoke. Probably being over concerned (aka anal) and the rings are not seated yet.

Glad you're not revving a cold motor, ghostbuster2. One of my pet peaves is when guys start a cold 4-stroke and twist the throttle until they hit the limit while the bike is on the stand. That's theeee very best way to ensure short engine life by catastrophic failure. I cringe every time I hear it.

Glad you're not revving a cold motor, ghostbuster2. One of my pet peaves is when guys start a cold 4-stroke and twist the throttle until they hit the limit while the bike is on the stand. That's theeee very best way to ensure short engine life by catastrophic failure. I cringe every time I hear it.

Me too, why rev a cold motor.

My 450X used to blow a little smoke when it was new. I haven't noticed any at all for quite a while.

mine does it too. After its fully warmed up it goes away but any throttle application when cold will have a puff of smoke.

I think the X burns oil. Even more important to change the oil regularly and often.

mine does it too. After its fully warmed up it goes away but any throttle application when cold will have a puff of smoke.

I think the X burns oil. Even more important to change the oil regularly and often.

what he said