Sign in to follow this  

2009 Valve Check - Observations.

The process is a bit tougher in 2009.

While I'm waiting for my suspension, I thought that I'd get my hour meter installed, radiator braces mounted, and do a baseline valve check. The bike only has dealer prep time and dealer decompression fix time.

Great news - both intake valves and exhaust valves are SPOT on the default spec. Perfect.

Bad news - it is MUCH tougher to do a valve check than on prior model years. Finding TDC - simple - same as previous. Exhaust valves - simple - same as previous. Intake valves - requires contorionist + fine motor skills + X-Ray vision to get in and under the cam cover and verify the clearance.

I do like the 2 bolt head cover. Simple.

It is CROWDED under the tank in '09. Lots of stuff in and around down there.

P.S. I did have a bit of a scare when validating the cam timing when I aligned the crankshaft mark and I thought that the cam mark did not line up - UGH - the dealer screwed up during the decompression fix. Then I did a doublecheck on the crank mark - it has slipped when I moved to the left side. What at relief.

The process is a bit tougher in 2009.

While I'm waiting for my suspension, I thought that I'd get my hour meter installed, radiator braces mounted, and do a baseline valve check. The bike only has dealer prep time and dealer decompression fix time.

Great news - both intake valves and exhaust valves are SPOT on the default spec. Perfect.

Bad news - it is MUCH tougher to do a valve check than on prior model years. Finding TDC - simple - same as previous. Exhaust valves - simple - same as previous. Intake valves - requires contorionist + fine motor skills + X-Ray vision to get in and under the cam cover and verify the clearance.

I do like the 2 bolt head cover. Simple.

It is CROWDED under the tank in '09. Lots of stuff in and around down there.

P.S. I did have a bit of a scare when validating the cam timing when I aligned the crankshaft mark and I thought that the cam mark did not line up - UGH - the dealer screwed up during the decompression fix. Then I did a doublecheck on the crank mark - it has slipped when I moved to the left side. What at relief.

just curious, could you have had the dealer check the valves when they changed the pin? I am asking cause i am taking my bike in next week and was thinking it may cost nothing to have them check it while they are there anyway? I dont know much about checking valves.

just curious, could you have had the dealer check the valves when they changed the pin? I am asking cause i am taking my bike in next week and was thinking it may cost nothing to have them check it while they are there anyway? I dont know much about checking valves.

Unless you have an amazing dealer, it will probably cost more than nothing. But it should still be less than usual imo.

You can ask. They are right there with everything exposed. They should.

However, I would suggest that you take an hour to learn this basic maintenance process. Not hard and the manual does a good job of explaining the step by step process. Time well invested to get to know your machine.

Don't take my earlier summary as a discoraging point - it is harder than prior years but it is not hard.