Sign in to follow this  

2008 Head Questions and JE Replacement Rings

Hey guys, I have a couple questions for anyone who might know. I got a new take-off bare 08 head to put on my 04. I am needing to get all four valves, springs, retainers, etc. to assemble it. What I am wondering is if the lifter buckets from the 06 head I currently have will work in the 08 head? The part numbers are different but I don't know what might have changed. Also, the head doesn't have the cam caps. I should be able to use the ones off the 06 head shouldn't I? I noticed on the parts diagram that they only come with a new head. Is there something that needs to be matched or checked with them? And if anyone may know if you need JE rings for their HC piston or will stock rings work? Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any answers.

cam caps are matched to the head. you're SOL unless you get those caps. I would not use any other than the ones that came with the head.

The buckets and cam will work from the 06. You will need the correct rings from JE. As mentioned above, the caps are matched to the head. Would the 06 caps work? Maybe. What you can try is take your 06 head with the cam out and measure the inside diameter with the caps torqued. Put them on the 08 head, torque and measure. You might get lucky. Make sure they match up where the cap and the head mate together because the may not line up. Being that the cam doesn't sit directly in the head like a Suzuki and Honda has a bearing, it might work. I wouldn't recommend it, but you might get lucky. When I said to measure it, I wasn't talking about using a tape measure. Like I said from the beginning, I wouldn't recommend it, but it could work.

caps are matched to each head.. on the backside of each cap there is a number/ initials engraved that match the numbers/initials engraved on the intake side of the head... more then lifely it will appear the 06 caps will match up with the 08 head but i personally wouldnt run it.. try measuring it and seeing what u get..

the `08 OEM rings are fine for the JE piston... or the JE rings are fine for the 08 OEM piston.

I am currently using the `08 OEM piston in my 08. I think the bike may actually work better with the 13.1:1 stock piston versus the 13.5:1 JE. Alls I have now is the MRD pipe for upgrades to the motor. and it rips really good!

I think it has a better powerband in the upper revvs with a stock motor and only a pipe. Once you get it up in there it will stay locked in. - ofcouse the dry rebuild method!

I think you may need some head porting or possibly a diff. cam to fully take advantage of a HC piston. But it will add some bottom/mid power no doubt about that :)

Okay, the guy also has the cam caps and is going to give them to me so that problem is solved. What is the difference in lifters between the 06 and 08 that it required new part numbers? Is the valve train pretty durable in the 08? I am planning on getting stock valves unless anyone has a better idea. I have used stainless valves and I don't like the way the engine revs slower so I would definintely want to go with titanium. Thanks again.