Sign in to follow this  

2000 CR80R or 2001 TTR-125

Hello all,

I have a question that I hope some of you can help me with. I am looking to buy my 12 yr old son his own dirt bike that he will use mainly for trail riding. He is 5'10" and weighs around 205, yes he is a big 12 yr old, and has ridin some but still getting the feel for riding.

I have a friend that has a 2000 CR80R that he bought for his son when it was new and his son rode it very little, so much so the nipples are still on the tires, and it was stored but still cared for. He wants to sell that bike for $1200

He also has a 2001 Yamaha TTR-125 that has been ridin some, runs great but not in the same shape as the Honda CR80R and he wants to sell the TTR-125 for $900.

My question for you folks is which bike would be the better bike for a semi beginner to have but be enjoyable for him once he learns to ride later on. I currently ride and his little brother ride a XR70R, so he will riding alot and learning very fast.

Any suggestions or comments would certainly be helpful.

Thanks,

If you want something that will still be fun after he gains experience, the cr80 is going to be your pick. The ttr is going to be a better beginner bike. But at his height and weight, even the cr is going to feel small. I would start looking at full sized bikes, maybe a 125 2stroke.

He's a big kid, a TTR125 or a CR80 will feel tiny on him.

If you think he can handle a 125 2 stroke, go right a head

If not, a XR250 is much more tame, but heavier than a 125. The XR would be good too

He's a big kid, a TTR125 or a CR80 will feel tiny on him.

If you think he can handle a 125 2 stroke, go right a head

If not, a XR250 is much more tame, but heavier than a 125. The XR would be good too

+1 on this, I feel cramped on a Cr80 and I'm 5'8. I think for his height and weight, a 125 2 stroke would be good. And If a 2 strokes aren't his cuppa tea, there's 4 stroke alternatives.

You should have him ride a 125 and see what he thinks of it, then go from there

holy crap, your kid is one fat son of a bitch.

Not even cool for a newb to come in and say... He could be one built son of a bitch that would put you back in your place....

To the question.. I say 125 and at his wieght i think it would be ok. Hieght wise it would be perfect power wise it might still lack some for his wieght. But for beginning it would be awsome.:) cr80 is WAY to small. He is in need of a fullsize bike not a kids bike:thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies everyone.....well the productive ones anyway. Some poeple are just idiots.

I will look into the 125s then, he has been riding for a bit but nothing major. His 15 yr old brother is 6'5" and 240.....I dont have small kids, so I want to get something he will enjoy later as well as now

Thanks again for all the help.

What about something a little tamer since it's a first bike? I'm thinking XR200 or XR250 or KDX200 or KDX220? You'll have to find a used one, but your 12 year old is already the size of a grown man. I don't think he will enjoy the TTR or the 80. A 125 2 stroke will work too but he might be scared of the power delivery his first few rides. Is he the kind of kid that won't mind if he comes off it a few times the first few days? If he won't mind the learning process, the 125s are everywhere cheap. If he will mind, I'd look for one of the others I suggested.