Sign in to follow this  

2001 200 EXC Jetting?

I have just bought a 2001 200EXC like new! I am looking for " THE " hot jetting set up as they have been out for a while. The jetting info here on TT is all over the place. My carb settings are listed below. The bike runs good but I think it could be better on low end. I think the pilot is too lean and it looks like the slides were changed from the 65 to a 7 or 6. Which slide lets more air in? I would like good off idle power. Ideas?

Main jet 178

pilot 40

needle NOZH #1

air screw 2.5 to 3 turns out

slide 65

I have just bought a 2001 200EXC like new! I am looking for " THE " hot jetting set up as they have been out for a while. The jetting info here on TT is all over the place. My carb settings are listed below. The bike runs good but I think it could be better on low end. I think the pilot is too lean and it looks like the slides were changed from the 65 to a 7 or 6. Which slide lets more air in? I would like good off idle power. Ideas?

Main jet 178

pilot 40

needle NOZH #1

air screw 2.5 to 3 turns out

slide 65

what elev and temps?

first of all, if your AS is right to get good performance, your pilot is too big. doesn't make sense though as the 200 typically runs a bigger pilot than that. If you are having to go to the first clip to get it close, I would choose a leaner needle.

I like the Sudco single taper needles in the 200, not sure how they relate to the N*** series.

I haven't dealt with the older bikes, 38mm carb, I assume?

What do you mean the slides are 7 or 6, there's only one. Does it have the 6.5 now?

6 was stock. 6.5 is stock on the newer 38mm carb bikes, 7 was the go to slide if you had the stock 6, 6.5 is good.

JD jet kit will get you what you want, blue 180-185 main, 42-45 pilot. Or try a straight taper like G said, go up one size on the main with those.

The only other thing is your elev that you ride.

Mike what needle did you get from sudco? The JD needles seem to need a lot of tweaking. If you can put in a JD needle and not have to adjust for every little temp change or alt change let me know.

I used the standard DDk which is touted as the best to start with. I also tried a couple of others, CEk for one. They didnt run as well in this older carb as the JD blue. It keeps some mid range it where the DDk was flat. I ran mine from 1000' to 8000' with one setting and only chnaged the air screw for the elev. It ran a little rich up high and lost a litte snap of course, but never fouled a plug, etc. It smoothed the power out a little more for the rocks n roots up there. In the 2500-4500 where I rode the most it ripped.

No tweaking. Dont know where you got that from, maybe some one who just cant justify spending the $$ on the JD kit and say they can do it on their own cheaper. You cant match the JD on these older bikes, the newer ones perhaps, but not the older ones. And of course mosof the guys who say this probly never got the JD, so they really dont know. I tried both.

I have tried the JD kit on other bikes and gave up, so I am one of those guys. I liked what you said on set it and forget it about the blue needle. I will give it a try, as I want the good low end smooth power. The reason I bought this bike it was good for tight woods and it was light! Cant wait to ride when the snow melts!

Many do like the JD kit in the older bikes.

I seem to be tweaking mine often enough also, though I have found a set up that works for most of the year.

I was riding Honda's and they are Jetted spot on, no tweaking and work on a wide range of temps and altitudes. KTM has been a brand I stayed away from, too many weird problems. Then again all I had ever heard about the 200 was good " the woods bike " and fun to ride. It runs pretty good now but is missing a little on the bottom for chug. I have a JD kit on order for it now as it has a lot of positive feedback. We will see how it works!

I was riding Honda's and they are Jetted spot on, no tweaking and work on a wide range of temps and altitudes. KTM has been a brand I stayed away from, too many weird problems. Then again all I had ever heard about the 200 was good " the woods bike " and fun to ride. It runs pretty good now but is missing a little on the bottom for chug. I have a JD kit on order for it now as it has a lot of positive feedback. We will see how it works!

proper jetting makes a big difference with this bike. 9 oz of added FWW also helps with the chug dept, as will a Gnarly. But if you really want to help it, send it out for a little engine massage, it's cheaper than a pipe and will make the biggest difference. Jbone is getting mine when I am ready for a topend.:thumbsup: