Sign in to follow this  

KTM 200 XC or 250 XC

5,11 155lbs at an Expert or A class riding level

I was wondering which bike would be better for me I race in Southern Nevada, Arizona and Sothern California in the Desert and sometimes Motocross or WORCS style races. I'm currently racing a 2008 Yamaha YZ250F which is currently for sale :) and I want the old 2-Stroke back. KTM is the only 2-Stroke I will buy unless Yamaha steps up its game, please let me know if the 2010 yamahas will. I'm wondering if the weight of the 208lb 200 makes up for the 222lb 250s power.

I was recenty trying to make the exact same decision for a new bike for eastern HS racing, but I'm a B rider. I ended up going with the 250 sx with a revalve and respring for offroad conditions. When I started looking at the specs, I realized that the 250 sx is exactly the same weight as the 200 XC, but I was able to buy a new 09 sx AND suspension mods AND large tank for way less than the 250 xc, and even a little less than an 09 200. I didn't really feel like I needed the estart for what I do. I will be riding the bike today for the first time, so PM me if you want more info.

250SX, 250XC, YZ250 in that order since you are considering KTM ahead of a YZ. Won't get into that potential war discussion.

With a 200 you'd have it rapped out like a 125 in many desert areas. It'll do it but it will eat pistons, rings, and clutches way ahead of any 250. The 250s have more snap and torque too. I put the SX ahead of the XC due to cost. E-start on a two stroke is for really old men and I'm old too.

The 250XC Weight (no fuel) approx. 100.4 kg (221.34 lbs) And the 200XC Weight (no fuel) approx. 94.4 kg (208.12 lbs) these are the 2009 models. I was thinking the 200 is more like a 250 rather then a 125 if someone know different let me know please. The XC model also comes with an 18in back wheel is a good thing to have in desert racing and with buying all the extras to make the SX desert ready I dont know if the $6,598.00 SX aganist the $7,398.00 XC is worth it. I'd have to buy desert tank, suspension with the XC I may not need to buy it, handguards, wheels and the electric start is always good but I dont need it. I think the XC pays for itself. My last question was I'm able to get a brand new 2008 200 XC for $5000.00 out the door and I'm not sure if thats worth it compared to the 250 power or 2009 models compared to the 2008? I wondering if the 2009 200 were completly updated as far as weight and such compared to the 2008 I cant find any information as far as the 2008.

My last question was I'm able to get a brand new 2008 200 XC for $5000.00 out the door and I'm not sure if that's worth it compared to the 250 power or 2009 models compared to the 2008? I wondering if the 2009 200 were completely updated as far as weight and such compared to the 2008 I cant find any information as far as the 2008.

That's gotta be at least a $2K savings OTD. I'd do it. Leftovers are good;:thumbsup:

The 200s are like 250s rather than 125s. Many love these bikes. For $2K+ less, I'd love it too.

i am not in the market for a new bike any time soon, but i am expecting a large growth spurt, and when it comes, i have the yz125 or 125sx in mind, but depending on when my growth comes i might be allot better rider so i was thinking maybe a 200xc or xc-w. i ride singletrack stuff, nothing really too tight. what would be better as far as a 200 for my type of riding, an xc or xcw?